What's new

Hi. New Member Here.

RoPo

Hello all.
New to the SP3. Hoping to replace an aging Vaio that I have been using as my sole PC. Laptop for travel and docked as a desktop for home use.
Loving the SP3 for the most part but having a HUGE issue trying to use it as a desktop. Bought the MS docking station and I love the form and function -mostly. Bought an Insignia Mini Displayport to VGA Adapter. Plugged it in as soon as I got home, connected to an Acer monitor, adjusted the display settings and was working fine! YEA! :) Win8.1 was waiting to do an update so I shut down the SP3 and went to bed. When I turned it back on the AM the monitor no longer worked with the SP3. :mad: I can tell that the SP3 recognizes that a monitor is connected but getting NO SIGNAL on the Acer monitor.
Switched the monitor back to the Vaio and it works fine.
Tried the MDP on the docking station AND the SP3 itself several times - no luck.
I've read MANY posts both here and elsewhere about this same issue. It's possible the Win update caused the problem (?). I am going to return the Insignia Adapter to Best Buy and try another one.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on so long on an introduction post but just started typing. Love the SP3 overall and looking forward to figuring out the problem so it can be my only PC!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a similar problem, long story short after trying everything I could think of I did a Refresh which fixed it. of course Microsoft learns nothing from such solutions and the problem gets perpetuated indefinitely... but contacting MS support will try the patience of a saint. Refresh is your best option.

OP
RoPo

RoPo

I ordered a new adapter today, based on some other reviews that I have read. Should have it in hand on Friday. I'll post my results. Crossing my fingers...

OP
RoPo

RoPo

Update to my monitor connection issues: I ordered and received this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400548
(StarTech MDP2VGDVHD Mini DisplayPort to VGA / DVI / HDMI Adapter – 3-in-1 mDP Converter)
And it works like a charm. I bought this adapter in case I upgrade my monitor (hopefully soon) and will not have to buy a new adapter for HDMI. Only problem is the resolution issue. I think others have expressed this and I will be researching a solution. (the issue is the size of screen items on my acer monitor vs the SP3.)