What's new

Hi!

markjr84

Hello everyone, Mark here!

I'm new to the forum.

I have joined because I am seriously looking at buying a surface pro 4, but I am balancing right in between "let's get one it'll be great" and "but what if it doesn't work for what I need it for"! So I am hoping to ask a few questions in the forums and get some advice in order for me to make an informed decision!

Thanks.

Exhile

There will be a lot of SP4s for sale on eBay as the SP5 is soon to come out this Spring. What will you be using an SP4 for?

OP
M

markjr84

@Exhile

Hey there, Thanks for your reply.

I'm a bookkeeper so the biggest programs I'll be running are Sage Accounts and Sage Payroll. Otherwise it's just microsoft office.

My set up at the moment is a Lenovo Z510 i7 Laptop running the same programs. It's connected to the Dynadock which allows me to connect to 2 more screens, fast ethernet connection, multiple USBs etc

The reason for wanting a surface is to be able to do the same as I am doing at the moment but also with the tablet capability too. Plus it will be lighter and more convenient when I visit clients etc.

I am hoping the SP4 will be able to do what I'm doing with my laptop just as well or better.

OP
M

markjr84

Great, thanks!

There is just one other thing I have noticed on one of my final checks.

The cpu ranking on the CPU Benchmark site:

My Lenovo: PassMark CPU Lookup

and the SP4: PassMark CPU Lookup

The SP4 has a much lower Passmark score. Does this mean that the Lenovo could be more powerful?

Sorry to get into the nitty gritty, it's just I want to get it right!

Exhile

You are right Mark in that your i7 Lenovo Z510 is more powerful than the i7 SP4. This is because your i7 Lenovo Z510 has 4 cores/8 threads and 6MB of cache whereas the i7 SP4 has 2 cores/4 threads with 4MB of cache. However the SP4 is much smaller, lighter and more power efficient than your Lenovo Z510. Also, the SP4 can be used in tablet mode with a pen. It's a trade off of power vs. light mobile computing.

OP
M

markjr84

Thank you @Exhile for your detailed response. I appreciate your help.

I now feel I have the information, just have to make the decision, (but I think I will move to the SP4!).

Thanks again :)