What's new

Hidden FN keys for Screenshot, Print Screen, and Screen Brightness. What else is there?

I feel like I just discovered the Surface Pro 3's type cover keyboard dirty little secret's, using unmarked FN shortcuts. I almost feel like I wish this was a sticky as it could have saved me countless time wasted using the on-screen menu, had I known sooner. These are what I found so far scattered in many different post throughout this forum.

Print Screen
FN + SPACEBAR

Screenshot (Saved in Pictures folder)
FN + WINDOWS KEY + SPACEBAR (in this order)

Screen Brightness
FN + DEL = Screen Brightness UP
FN + BACKSPACE = Screen Brightness DOWN

What other hidden FN key type cover shortcuts are there that us Surface Pro owners should be aware of to save time, and also very useful that I can add to this list? Maybe a volume UP and volume DOWN shortcut? Yes, I know, but many times I really don't feel like lifting my arm to hit the volume keys!

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Print Current Window Only
FN + ALT+ SPACEBAR

Page Up
FN + ARROW UP

Page Down
FN + ARROW DOWN

Home
FN + ARROW LEFT

End
FN + ARROW RIGHT

Function Keys Active / Inactive
FN + CAPS

r0b123

Thanks for the tips guys! I just copy/pasted all these in my OneNote for reference. I knew of the screen brightness and one of the print screen brightness, glad there were more!

ChiGGz

The screen brightness one is GOLD Jerry!

I would love if they had an FN function to toggle WiFi On/Off. Would make the "limited" connectivity issue a lot easier to deal with...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The screen brightness one is GOLD Jerry!

I would love if they had an FN function to toggle WiFi On/Off. Would make the "limited" connectivity issue a lot easier to deal with...

Too bad a hardware or Fn key is not already available to to that, but...

There is a sweet little utility here to toggle on and off 'Airplane Mode', which can be assigned a shortcut key.

I posted an alternative here: http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...-tile-you-really-need-windows-8-and-8-1.8446/

airplanemode.png

airplane_mode_tiles.jpg

Kif

I wish there was hidden keys to raise and lower the volume. I don't always find the volume rocker convenient.

BillJ

I just tried SharpColorado's suggestions above for airplane mode toggles. I used the utilities he recommended and assigned shortcuts to them. Here is what they look like on my Start Screen:
upload_2014-12-15_9-45-30.png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Tiles are resizeable, too.

I assigned keyboard shortcuts using the " { " and " } " symbols, since they look like aircraft. The shortcuts automatically revert to [ and ], but that works fine.

So now, I can either use the tiles, or toggle Airplane Mode with
Ctrl+Alt+{ - off
or
Ctrl+Alt+} - on

Last edited: