What's new

HiDPI Retina external Display thread for Surface Pro 3 - QHD UHD 4K Monitors or TVs

xbliss

HiDPI Retina external Display thread for Surface Pro 3 - QHD UHD 4K Monitors or TVs

Let's make a single sticky thread of High Res Displays - Monitors or TVs for SP3.

- Those that work or could work with SP3.. Directly Connected.. or via MS Dock.. or other means?
via..
- mDP
- DP
- HDMI?? via convertor?
- Wireless Interfaces?? WiDi ?
- DVI {Probably harder, troublesome & more expensive due to DP to Dual link DVI Active Adapter/ Convertor }
- Any others connection protocols that I am no familiar with?

Let's share how its connected, what resolution & frequency & performance we get with the SP3.

How it performs as an Extended Display or as a Replacement Display.

Do share :) If you are using or like to use HiDPI screens then do chime in.

PS: If your eyes hurt with HiDPI/ High Res screens and you dont like how fonts are smaller etc, then please keep that rant to yourself. We know about it all :p but yet choose to go HiDPI.

Last edited:

leeshor

There are quite a few threads on various display connections and resolutions floating around the forum already but if you want to start one like this it's going to the off topic section as we don't have a forum specific to displays and this could apply to more than one Surface.

OP
X

xbliss

There are quite a few threads on various display connections and resolutions floating around the forum already but if you want to start one like this it's going to the off topic section as we don't have a forum specific to displays and this could apply to more than one Surface.

That is the problem. They should not be floating around. It's hard to find information on them or make any sense of it.

Why don't we merge all these Display threads inside SP3 forum? Make it a sticky so people post and track things on it. Or make this the master thread where everyone should gather display knowledge - wrt to SP3.

And it is not off topic as Display constraints can get very specific to what SP3 can/ will drive; especially since its a HiDPI machine itself.

Moving it outside of SP3 forum will not get SP3 specific attention it needs. Instead of letting things float.. lets sticky & merge them. My 2 cents on better Content Management.

leeshor

Your going to be dealing with SP3 on 8.1 and 10 so any way you look at it it's going to be spread out and the issues and topics have varied. The points you make seem fairly specific to me. We can't merge all those threads and I don't see a sticky at this point either. It might work in the general discussion section.

OP
X

xbliss

Your going to be dealing with SP3 on 8.1 and 10 so any way you look at it it;s going to be spread out and the issues and topics have varied. The points you make seem fairly specific to me. We can't merge all those threads and I don't see a sticky at this point either. It might work in the general discussion section.
So you'd rather allow these threads to float around the SP3 forum but not let the knowledge assimilate.

We could have people all SP3 + External Display related issues & adapters in one thread and everytime a solution is found, add that DISPLAY & its MECHANISM & working to the Initial post.. I've seen such a thing exist on many forums. I could link you to examples where this has really worked well, but you'd delete them anyways. Check out on the NBF eGPU threads etc.

leeshor

The staff determines what is sticky worthy and what isn't. We have plenty of information here and lots of sticky posts. (maybe more than needed, as some are getting stale).

OP
X

xbliss

The staff determines what is sticky worthy and what isn't. We have plenty of information here and lots of sticky posts. (maybe more than needed, as some are getting stale).

I'll PM you some links. The problem lies with the new issues around HiDPi displays, their needs of newer display protocols {HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4 etc} & lack of clarity/ standards implementation of these between products/ cables.

Most of such threads I have encountered are on Desktop/ Workstation/ Gaming related & centric. There's hardly any "collective" knowledge base especially focused around driving displays from a portable device such as SP3. Imagine exploring limits & boundaries of the capabilities of a new apple device; no 3rd party apple forums discourage such focused research. And hopefully this helps improve SP3 capabilities & drivers and the next gen products.

Given that you wont budge I cant argue on contextual logic on doing this anymore - but I will PM you links/ examples that represent this case. Then I leave it upto you.

We should have a place for this information to collate properly.