What's new

High CPU Usage and no Internet Connection

totom

Hi, I've installed today the first update for Windows 10 and after rebooting I can't access the network anymore... When I look into the Task-Manager the network service is using between 20 and 25% of the CPU. The network services consists out of the cryptography service and the DNS-Cache, I can't tell which one causes it... I ran a system scan by Defender and by Malwarebytes, but no Viruses found.
Anyone who knows a solution? Thanks.

Sorry that I didn't make a screenshot, but i could not send it from my Surface anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20150806_200407.jpg
    IMG_20150806_200407.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 567

double07

The high CPU usage and fan constantly on were my issue after upgraded to Win 10. I suggested you go in to All settings, Privacy, background apps. I would disallow all apps that you don't care about from running in the background. That should take care of the CPU issue. It did for me. My CPU is now around 1% usage when idle.

OP
T

totom

Thanks, but I already did that after upgrading to W10... I'll try now to downgrade to W8.1 and to upgrade to W10 again in a few days :)

double07

Thanks, but I already did that after upgrading to W10... I'll try now to downgrade to W8.1 and to upgrade to W10 again in a few days :)

Other also suggesting disabling the indexing. You can look at that as well. Not sure if downgrade and upgrade will do the trick though...

OP
T

totom

Also disabled Indexing at the beginning... And you were right, downgrading didn't help...

double07

Also disabled Indexing at the beginning... And you were right, downgrading didn't help...

I will say, if you decided to upgrade back to Win 10, be sure to perform all windows update in addition to disabling apps from running in background. Could it be that update is in progress? Oher than that, I am pretty happy with Win 10.

OP
T

totom

Yeah, a update was in progress, but it couldnt download, because the internet connection didnt work...

OP
T

totom

Have you had any 3rd party anti virus software installed, not Malwarebytes.
No, just the free version of Malwarebytes (not running in background) and Windows Defender was also disabled (but as i never installed illegal software / never visited dangerous sites i don't think it was a virus)...

Do you think I have any chance of fixing it without having to reinstall Windows?

leeshor

You don't need to visit a dangerous site to get an infection. I have had several customer's WEB sites get compromised with x-scripting Java hacks.

I would give it a couple more days before considering reinstalling.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive just installed the cumulative update on my S3 and it went from fine to unusable. I currently have office click to run consuming 80bpercent CPU despite not opening it. Before that edge was using 80 percent, and before that, file explorer using 80 percent despite nothing being open. 80 percent seems a recurring number.