What's new

High pitched noise from bottom left of SP

jamesk

My SP is making a high pitched static/screeching sound from the bottom left corner of the device. I starts as soon as I startup the SP and does not stop. I can only hear it in a quiet room or if I hold it up to my ear. I'm typing this in my bedroom and the sound is faint but it's giving me a headache.

Is the sound normal? It doesn't sound like the cooling found because it's a static sound. Kind of sounds like the old Morse Code telegraph machines. Maybe the hard drive?

mitchellvii

Sounds like you may have a bad capacitor. When they go bad they make a very high pitched almost inaudible but annoying Morse code squeal. I'd call MS or bring it by the MS store if you have one locally.

Make sure you register your SP online first so you'll be under warranty.

Last edited:

kirkone

Hi,

I had exactly the same noise on my SP.
Right at the Moment I request an exchange via Microsoft Support.

My SP is making a high pitched static/screeching sound from the bottom left corner of the device. I starts as soon as I startup the SP and does not stop. I can only hear it in a quiet room or if I hold it up to my ear. I'm typing this in my bedroom and the sound is faint but it's giving me a headache.

Is the sound normal? It doesn't sound like the cooling found because it's a static sound. Kind of sounds like the old Morse Code telegraph machines. Maybe the hard drive?

CrippsCorner

I ditto what mitchellvii said...

I had this on a Harman/Kardon CD player. Got it replaced quite easily, although the second one did it as well (although not as bad) I don't rate their equipment after my experience.