What's new

High temps i7/256GB/8GB Surface Pro 3?

Hello,

I recently received my SP3 and have installed Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, IE and Firefox. I've opened up everything that I need to for work and ran way more than I would throughout the day just to test it.

Yesterday, it got up to 81 degrees at one point. Today, I installed a program and it shot up to 88 degrees. The average is around 48-50 degrees and of course it varies throughout the day depending on what I am doing.

I have RealTemp installed to monitor the temps and I noticed the Thermal Status, that usually reads OK, now reads LOG. I read that means that the CPU got too hot and it logged it somewhere.

Are those temps okay, or average/normal? Should I be concerned that the CPU got too hot and maybe could cause damage? Should I maybe contact Microsoft support?

Thank you in advance for your responses and help.

bluegrass

Welcome to the forum.

I never have worried about temp on my Surface. If I were to install some monitoring program and watched the temp, it would probably cause me to worry but since my Surface hums away at whatever I need to do, why bother. I also purchased the replacement plan from MS. Sorry I can't help you.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The firmware will regulate the temperature and as a failsafe actually shutdown the Surface to protect it from any damage. That's all you need to know. Any operational temperature is within the design specifications.

Temps are fine. Enjoy your new SP3!

Thanks! I will do that, indeed.

Welcome to the forum.

I never have worried about temp on my Surface. If I were to install some monitoring program and watched the temp, it would probably cause me to worry but since my Surface hums away at whatever I need to do, why bother. I also purchased the replacement plan from MS. Sorry I can't help you.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't really worry about it. I just read things about the heat thing on some i7's, and I think that it got me a bit paranoid. I really shouldn't monitor it because it does drive me a little crazy :p.

I am going to purchase the MS replacement plan, too. That should give me a little added assurance.

The firmware will regulate the temperature and as a failsafe actually shutdown the Surface to protect it from any damage. That's all you need to know. Any operational temperature is within the design specifications.

Thanks for your response.

I am totally up to date on all updates. It got really hot during those installations.

I am shutting off RealTemp right now and I am not going to open it anymore :).

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

Testudo

Antitoon

In case this can make feel you better :p, as far as I understand the maximum operational temperature for Haswell-U processors is 100 celsius degrees, which is higher than some past generations. The firmware will generally prevent the processor from getting too close to this limit (the maximum temp I ever saw was probably 91 or 92). So don't worry, it's fine. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In case this can make feel you better :p, as far as I understand the maximum operational temperature for Haswell-U processors is 100 celsius degrees, which is higher than some past generations. The firmware will generally prevent the processor from getting too close to this limit (the maximum temp I ever saw was probably 91 or 92). So don't worry, it's fine. :)
And it's not gong to disintegrate at that temp although the system will shutdown before it gets there. Like anything else there's a safety margin built in.