What's new

High Wattage Charger Not Charging

PaoBit

Found out that the high wattage charger for surface books with dGPU doesn't work anymore and only the lower wattage ones do.

The store confirmed that it needs replacement. I don't really want to get it replaced since the hassle of downloading everything again would be a pain. Has anyone used the lower wattage chargers to see it only charge slower, rather than trickle down on charge when doing heavy tasks?

Also, I hear that getting replacement devices are refurbished and chances are I might get a worse working device than the one I currently have? Is this true?

JaeMelo

What happens if it completely sh*ts the bed outside of your warranty and fails to take a charge?! What will be worse? Re-downloading programs to a replaced working unit or being stuck with a useless slab of metal with the possibility of not being able to recover your personal data in the future?

You must own a USB drive. Download all the installation setups (.exe) of the programs you are using now. In addition back up any other files like pictures, music, and documents prior to getting it swapped out and call it a day.

Last edited:

flar

The replacement I got on Sunday appeared to be brand new in box, or at least it was packaged the same way my original came with a seal on the box even.

How many chargers have you tried? Could you just have a bad charger or 2?

OP
P

PaoBit

Microsoft Support only wants me to ship the surface book itself. No accessories, charger, or surface pen it came with. So I would assume they would exchange it for a refurbished or opened item.

Since I'm passed the return/exchange period I'd assume they wouldn't give me a brand new one?

flar

They didn't offer to replace it in the store directly? When I went in with light bleed on my display they went straight to the stock room to grab a brand new unit within the first minute of the conversation. I walked out with a brand new SurfaceBook about a half hour later. And my issue was arguably less cut and dried than yours.

Orlbuckeye

Found out that the high wattage charger for surface books with dGPU doesn't work anymore and only the lower wattage ones do.

The store confirmed that it needs replacement. I don't really want to get it replaced since the hassle of downloading everything again would be a pain. Has anyone used the lower wattage chargers to see it only charge slower, rather than trickle down on charge when doing heavy tasks?

Also, I hear that getting replacement devices are refurbished and chances are I might get a worse working device than the one I currently have? Is this true?

I thought the 60 watt charger is the only one that will charge the SB with the dGPU and the 30 watt charger that come with the Surface Pro 3 or 4 (30 watts) doesn't have enough power to charge the SB when it's on.

See number 3

11 secrets you didn't know about your new Surface Book or Surface Pro 4

JaeMelo

Are any of you experiencing Screen Flickering and Keyboard/Mouse Failure at times?! Im wondering if I should have mine swapped out now before I move back to Bermuda in April.
Microsoft Support only wants me to ship the surface book itself. No accessories, charger, or surface pen it came with. So I would assume they would exchange it for a refurbished or opened item.

Since I'm passed the return/exchange period I'd assume they wouldn't give me a brand new one?
What's wrong with a refurbished unit?! Have you never used Apple Care before?! All the replacement iPhones are deemed refurbished but upon inspection they are flawless like a sealed from factory unit. Minus the box, accessories and instructions that are included the so called "refurbished" unit can't be differentiated from a brand new unit.

Orlbuckeye

When i shipped mine back MS told me to send everything the SB and Accessories. Also it said not to send the box it came it because I wouldn't get it back. Well I did an exchange and they shipped a new unit with the box.

OP
P

PaoBit

The store said they had no replacement SBs around so I had to do it online? They probably did not want to give me a new one?

KBoss

I don''t understand what you mean by this? Are you saying that the chargers that were shipped with the SB don't work anymore (as well)?

OP
P

PaoBit

I don''t understand what you mean by this? Are you saying that the chargers that were shipped with the SB don't work anymore (as well)?

OOPS meant my surface book only.

I think I found the culprit to my charger problem. I got sidestickers from stickerboy and I think that's what caused the charger to not work. Maybe I did not perfectly align it the charger port and caused some contact issues? When I removed it, it worked fine!

flar

The store said they had no replacement SBs around so I had to do it online? They probably did not want to give me a new one?

It could be possible that it varies by location, and that the store you went to was less accommodating than mine, but I'd be more inclined to believe them, that they didn't have a replacement for your particular model. They do have 6 different configurations to keep in stock.

My experience was at the SF store at the Westfield center on Market and they seemed very accommodating. If you are in the SF Bay Area you might want to try them if you haven't already.