What's new

Hooking up the SP2 to a plasma TV

mrasmussen

So I have my SP2 hooked up to a panisonic plasma Panasonic TC-P50ST50 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review (for reference)

I have the resolution set to 1920 x 1080 and I duplicate the displays. There is a small portion of the screen that is clipped, noticeably, the taskbar. I can just see the top of my taskbar. The same amount is clipped around the entire screen, which ruins some menus in certain games. Any ideas how to fix this?

I've tried to extend the displays but it seems performance takes a big hit.

The cable is just a standard display port to hdmi cable.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There are settings in the Intel Control Panel (Which the version of the driver the Pro doesn't use) that allows you to adjust the frame, you can force an update to the Intel Driver and hide the Driver update in Windows Update or another option is to see if the TV has a setting to adjust.

Pepper

Most televisions come set for overscan, there should be an option somewhere in its setup menus for native edge to edge resolution.

OP
mrasmussen

mrasmussen

I went through the tv settings and there was something under HDMI, I forget the actual name, it didn't stand out like screen size. I flipped the setting and viola, I see my entire desktop. Thanks guys!

I see mention of installing the latest intel driver, I went to intel's website but I can;t seem to find the driver for my surface pro 2, do you have a link? I tried
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng&wapkw=hd+4000+driver
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23106

both complain that I have the wrong hardware for these drivers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
To install the Intel Stock drivers you need to add them manually from Device Manager by running the Update Drivers wizard and pointing it to the extracted .inf files. They will impact your battery life though....

beq

There are settings in the Intel Control Panel (Which the version of the driver the Pro doesn't use) that allows you to adjust the frame, you can force an update to the Intel Driver and hide the Driver update in Windows Update or another option is to see if the TV has a setting to adjust.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but seeing that the SP2 Microsoft stock drivers now include the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, is there now a setting in Windows to adjust overscan cropping (when hooking up to TV using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable/adapter)? I can't seem to find it.

When using wireless Miracast, I think that both Actiontec and Netgear offer overscan adjustment via the receiver. But when using a physical HDMI cable hookup, must we always rely on the TV itself to provide the adjustment (or a "PC" HDMI port)?

Last edited:

al2fast

Sorry to bump an old thread, but seeing that the SP2 Microsoft stock drivers now include the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, is there now a setting in Windows to adjust overscan cropping (when hooking up to TV using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable/adapter)? I can't seem to find it.

When using wireless Miracast, I think that both Actiontec and Netgear offer overscan adjustment via the receiver. But when using a physical HDMI cable hookup, must we always rely on the TV itself to provide the adjustment (or a "PC" HDMI port)?

I had to make the adjustment on my TV as well. It was under picture settings for that input, its a Samsung plasma. I think I changed it from 16:9 to full screen. Just try them, it should work for you. Before I changed the setting I had like half a taskbar width of the screen cut off on all edges.