What's new

Horrendous Wireless Performance

Cipro

I received my Surface Pro 2 128 GB model last week and I love 99% of the features, i am not sure I can keep the device because of the wireless performance.

Some of the details,

Wifi - on 5ghz Band peeks out at 4mbs regardless of location of the device and router. Even if if the SP2 is with in 10 ft of the router in direct line of sight the cap is 4mbs

Turn on Bluetooth and have device connected to blue tooth headphones and Wifi peaks at 1.8 mb this is on 5gz and 2.4gz router. Obviously there is an issue with blue tooth and wifi

Note, I have all power settings set to maximum performance including wireless features.

I have updated drivers as found in these forums.

As much as I would love to keep the device, I will not be able to stick with the unit, unless the wireless performance improves significantly.

Anything I am missing at this point to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance

Cipro

CrownSeven

How are you getting your numbers? And what are you expecting to get? I just ran a test using speedtest and I'm getting close to 30 mbps using an ASUS RTN66U router and thats using a 2.4 network.

OP
C

Cipro

My Asus Ultrabook holds steady at 30mbs in the exact same spot not only in my office but in my house via speakeasy's speed test. My SP2 peaks at 4 with bluetooth off and 1.8 with bluetooth on.

Also downloading large files off Usenet Asus holds steady at 30 mbs....this SP2...4mbs

I am using Cisco-Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router in both locations as it has been my most rock solid performer.

I would expect similar results as I am getting on my Ultrabook. Not 7x slower.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Turn of any QoS or Media Optimizations (for Video or Voice Traffic) and see if the SP2 speed increases, Like I said in your other thread, I went from 5 MB/s to 11 MB/s with this internally on my network and went from 8mbs to 77mbs on Internet.

OP
C

Cipro

Turn of any QoS or Media Optimizations (for Video or Voice Traffic) and see if the SP2 speed increases, Like I said in your other thread, I went from 5 MB/s to 11 MB/s with this internally on my network and went from 8mbs to 77mbs on Internet.

Sadly, I have none of these enabled on my Router, but thank you for the advice.

Just checked my wired performance via my USB ASUS Ethernet controller, and I am peeking at 12....ugh...tried the ultrabook downloading the same file and I am holding steady at 30mbs, both wired and wireless....

WoRie

Hi,

my Surface Pro 2 (8/256) has the same problems. Wireless performance is awful. An HP Elitebook 8570p maxes out the 300 mbit and has full bars in the same position, while my SP2 gets only 2/5 bars (4 meters away from the router) and no more that 54g. Seems to be a driver issue in conjunction with an awful wireless chipset concerning older posts for the SP1. I'm on the latest driver and have tried two different networks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to look at is if there may be a Firmware Upgrade for your router, as the Marvell Chipset is still fairly new. There has also been reports that the Marvell Chipset overwhelms some routers and by lowering its power in the advanced settings improves throughput.

WoRie

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3063518632.png

I've switched the router band to 5 ghz and now it displays 270 mbit wireless connection internally. The above results are from my 100 mbit internet connection, which normally nets me upwards of 75 mbit/s via ethernet. it has to be the surface. my router (Fritzbox 7270) is on the latest firmware. I'll wait a month for updated drivers and otherwise return it for an exchange. I've already invested 300 € into accessories so I definitely won't be switching to a Vaio Tap 11 ;)

Attachments

• 3063518632.png
    3063518632.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,044

Tgrey

my sp2 displays 300M on 5G, internal file transfer is around 15M/s, this is the max on 300M network

mjgerrard

@OP

Try disabling N on your router. I recently had a problem with a neighbours router and managed to disable N on his laptop. I found that you can't do this on the Pro 2, as the Marvell chipset driver doesn't have an option to disable it in there.

jrg63

I am having similar problems. On 2.4G using an Asus RT-AC66U, I'm getting download speeds of about 3 MBs (megabytes per second). I tried the exact same operation on my Asus laptop and I was getting over 10 MBs. I tried changing the power profile to high performance and it made no difference. I then tried the same series of tests at 5G, and was getting between 12-15 MBs. On my laptop, I get between 19-22 MBs.

The router is about 5ft away.

Any other suggestions?

jrg63

I just checked over on the regular Surface forum and there was an interesting post about how Bluetooth mice will kill your WIFI performance. I turned off Bluetooth and performance went from between 2-3 MBs to 8-10 MBs. A person also reported they were able to get rid of this problem by deleting and reinstalling all their Bluetooth devices. I tried that and it didn't seem to work for me.