What's new

Horrendous Wireless Performance

jrg63

I've done more testing and found a few things. My Bluetooth driver wasn't updated in the last update so I downloaded the last set of updates and manually updated the Bluetooth driver to .50. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference but did make me feel a bit better.

I have a docking station so I tested some cabled network transfers and noticed that the performance on cabled network tests suffered as well when Bluetooth was turned on so it may be another issue, perhaps related to USB 3 hardware or drivers.

OP
C

Cipro

While I appreciate the suggestions to update my router firmware...I am wary to do that as we have some 40 wireless devices connecting to our network... with zero issues.

My IT philosophy has and will continue to be if it ain't broke... don't fix it

Its obvious at this point there is a serious issue. I won't be deploying these devices to my folks until its solved.

mitchellvii

Huh, I'm getting 60 mbps on 2.4 sitting about 5 feet from my router. This is what it should be. It gets cut in half if I use my Microsoft Touch bluetooth mouse. Weird yeah but that is what happens. I'm on SP1 but I think the adapter is the same.

jayTcold

My SPro2 was experiencing issues that where very similar to Cipro (op) - anemic wireless speed hovering around 6 mpbs, sometimes it would hit 27 mpbs.

I spent a few hours troubleshooting, over the course of a couple days.

The SPro2 was about to get boxed back up and returned/exchanged to my local MicroCenter, where I had purchased it.

I took another look at my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router. There was an alert to install a firmware update, which I knew of, but had not gotten around to installing (the last firmware update fixed something that did not pertain to my setup).

Anyways, a little more troubleshooting and a combination of firmware V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 for the R7000 and broadcasting out my 5.2 Ghz SSID has taken care of my woes.

Here at home, I'm hovering btwn 270-300 mbps tacked to my 5.2 GHz. At work, I'm hovering btwn 130-150 mbps on 2.4 GHz.

Last edited:

jayTcold

Also, it's not just our Surface Pro 2's...one of my friends at work was troubleshooting Mom's brand-new Gateway notebook that used a Marvell wireless card.

Needless to say, the Gateway notebook ended up being returned to wherever they bought it, solely due to crazy wireless issues.

jrapdx

Also, it's not just our Surface Pro 2's...one of my friends at work was troubleshooting Mom's brand-new Gateway notebook that used a Marvell wireless card.

Needless to say, the Gateway notebook ended up being returned to wherever they bought it, solely due to crazy wireless issues.

The Marvell WiFi card (in the SP2) sure seems to be a bottleneck re: transfer speed. The network dialog consistently shows the built-in card at 65 Mb/sec. However, using a low-end DLink USB adapter shows speed of 150 Mb/sec accessing the same router signal.

I wouldn't call using a USB adapter much of a "solution", but in some instances perhaps a workaround to employ. We certainly can't replace the internal adapter, though probably a lot of people wish it was possible. I'd be among the first in line...

wditters

Screenshot (7).png

This pic shows my network performance on my SP2 in 2.4Ghz and in 5.Ghz mode ... this is consistent with what I get on my Macbook Pro and my Lenovo X1 Carbon. Router is an Asus RT-n66u ... Bluetooth off ... Bluetooth on indeed makes 2.4Ghz speeds drop like a dead fly. 5Ghz speeds are unaffected.

Last edited:

InkyRag

Two rooms away from the router on Comcast over 5Ghz with Bluetooth enabled.

From the same location on 2.4Ghz with Bluetooth enabled.

From the same location on 2.4Ghz with Bluetooth disabled.

Last edited:

jrapdx

Two rooms away from the router on Comcast over 5Ghz with Bluetooth enabled.

From the same location on 2.4Ghz with Bluetooth enabled.

From the same location on 2.4Ghz with Bluetooth disabled.

Nicely presented. Inspired me to try something similar, if less elegant. Nonetheless, results interesting.

1. Marvell 2.4GHz WITH Bluetooth
Marvell-w-BT.JPG

2. Marvell 2.4GHz WITHOUT Bluetooth
Marvell-wo-BT.JPG

3. DLink USB Dual-Band 2.4GHz W/WO BT
DLink+BT-on.JPG

So, yes, BT certainly interferes with the Marvell WiFi, though curiously had no effect on the external USB DLink adapter.

Kinda messes with my setup, the BT mouse was so handy. I could use the external adapter, bu that means setting up the hub to make up for the dearth of USB slots on the SP2. Not earth-shattering, just inconvenient to deal with.

The computer world can be at times a PITA. OK MS, time to get your act together...

ssummer

Is anyone NOT showing a performance drop on 2.4GHz wifi when Bluetooth is on? Also are you guys seeing the drop in speed just having BT turned on or is it only when you are actually paired to a device?

CrippsCorner

For me it was only when the Bluetooth was being used, i.e. just being 'on' didn't actually make a difference. Either way, you guys are so lucky! My results are...

5GHz - 14Mb/s
2.4GHz with Bluetooth not running - 12Mb/s
2.4GHz with Bluetooth running - 0.01Mb/s