What's new

Host process for windows tasks

C2Q

Hi,
For the last little while my Surface pro 3 goes crazy and Windows hogs around 30% CPU the moment I plug it in due to Host process for windows tasks. I don't know what exactly it's doing, the command line only shows taskhost.exe.

This only happens after I plug it in after a while. It never happens on battery. It starts right away and then stops, then starts again in 5-10 minutes, then stops, and keeps repeating the same pattern for a while. How can I find out what is causing this? I have already tried disabling Windows search indexing and Onedrive sync.

It's super annoying because my temps constantly jump to around 70-80c for no reason every 5 minutes and the fan goes crazy.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I had that very same thing on my Surface Pro 3, about a week after installing the first Insider Build of Windows 10. That was November, 2014. Problem was solved with subsequent installs.

@C2Q, you probably need a Refresh.

OP
C

C2Q

I had that very same thing on my Surface Pro 3, about a week after installing the first Insider Build of Windows 10. That was November, 2014. Problem was solved with subsequent installs.

@C2Q, you probably need a Refresh.
I'm still running on Windows 8 :(

I guess I might have to do a refresh..ugh...

malberttoo

A refresh, IMHO, is not that bad of a deal. I couldn't argue this, but I just think that the baked-in image that you get on a new SP3 is prone to issues. Even with a SP3 that was only a few days old, it was amazing how doing a full restore (not a refresh, but a complete factory reset) fixed a ton of little issues and made my SP3 a new completely healthy machine. It doesn't really make a lot of sense, but several other forum members have done the same thing and agreed with me.

My .02.