What's new

How About a More Positive Review Just Out from ZDnet?

Golou

All I know is that Staples and Best Buy were the only places where I live you could buy them. I bought the last to at Best Buy. Staples sold out in a day. Best Buy 2 days. I bought two for myself and my employee.

robertsurface

All I know is that Staples and Best Buy were the only places where I live you could buy them. I bought the last to at Best Buy. Staples sold out in a day. Best Buy 2 days. I bought two for myself and my employee.

Hard to measure demand when we don't know how available these tablets are to retail stores. They each only may have gotten very few in for starters. I assume the Microsoft stores may get most of the units to sell at this point perhaps.

Big Kahuna

I agree full-heartedly, Bobby. I'm guessing 6-12 per store. When I was at the Microsoft store, a gentlemen was walking out with 50 he purchased for oversea sales.

bosamar

Wow! How did I miss this!? I think the Surface speaks for itself... more exposure (Staples and Best Buy) is only going to excelerate sales...

robertsurface

Wow! How did I miss this!? I think the Surface speaks for itself... more exposure (Staples and Best Buy) is only going to excelerate sales...
Let's hope employees got some kind of training to help perspective buyers. Especially this time of year when extra staff is added. I checked out the Samsung Chromebook the other day. The Google rep was beyond clueless.

Last edited:

dhotiram

I agree

If you want some good reviews check out Best Buy website, the Surface gets 4-5 stars pretty much in every review I've seen. If there is one commonality with most tech bloggers is they write to get clicks, trashing anything Microsoft gets clicks. It's good to see when tech bloggers are not bias and give an honest review but those are hard to find.

I agree. Best Buy and Amazon has real users who purchase the product and write about their first hand experience with the product. if 20 people write a review of a product, one can average the amount of positive and negative reviews a product receives. Microsoft surface has a 4.5 to 5 star reviews on both websites. I usually don't follow reviews of one individual or one particular blog. Engadget and The Verge are neutral but BGR has nothing good to say about any product that is not made by apple.

Big Kahuna

Oh, puh-leeze!

I agree. Best Buy and Amazon has real users who purchase the product and write about their first hand experience with the product. if 20 people write a review of a product, one can average the amount of positive and negative reviews a product receives. Microsoft surface has a 4.5 to 5 star reviews on both websites. I usually don't follow reviews of one individual or one particular blog. Engadget and The Verge are neutral but BGR has nothing good to say about any product that is not made by apple.

Wave your cursor over every reviewers' names. "Real" users who just happen to be writing their first review that just so happens to be polished and includes sales stats. Picture a Microsoft marketing meeting. "Ok, people, sales are dwindling largely in part of online reviews. we really need to pump some life into the Surface. Everyone here, go on Best Buy and Staple's website and write a positive review. Won't cost us a dime and will rejuvenate the buzz....."
I haven't swallowed the kool aid yet and am having a hard time believe that so many will write a negative review about a GREAT product. The issues described are real issues. To name a few of the common denominators, application launch speed, nonuniform controls between apps and the general lack of apps are serious flaws to consider when purchasing a tablet.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Wave your cursor over every reviewers' names. "Real" users who just happen to be writing their first review that just so happens to be polished and includes sales stats. Picture a Microsoft marketing meeting. "Ok, people, sales are dwindling largely in part of online reviews. we really need to pump some life into the Surface. Everyone here, go on Best Buy and Staple's website and write a positive review. Won't cost us a dime and will rejuvenate the buzz....."
I haven't swallowed the kool aid yet and am having a hard time believe that so many will write a negative review about a GREAT product. The issues described are real issues. To name a few of the common denominators, application launch speed, nonuniform controls between apps and the general lack of apps are serious flaws to consider when purchasing a tablet.

Nobody is asking you to drink the kool aid. If you don't believe it get your hands on one and test it out. Clearly you are skeptical and that is the only way you are going to be convinced. You will find some issues sure and many are addressed and noted here. But whole sale the "offcial tech" reviews are just wrong. Yes I am in fact saying that the negative reviews were actually written about a great device.

Some other points:

The sales numbers and facts and figures in the one post you quoted don't match up to the reality that MS has never specifically said how many units it has sold. If this was a marketing effort their numbers would have been more accurate than average joe numbers thrown out. For example marketing people always say you can get the device for just $499 not you can get it for just $500 and MS Office 2013 is worth at least $100 doesn't sound like market speak.

Application launch speed has been addressed with the first update. Also what is "slow"? If it takes 10 seconds to launch an app instead of 5 seconds that is a matter of opinion as to what is not acceptable. Sometimes unique features can override particular quirks. Most early reviews were done on units issued prior to launch of the device and the updates.

Non-uniform controls between apps. Largely they are the same and even with the differences they are still within the frame work of Windows Modern UI. Every mobile OS maker has the same issue with non-uniform controls, even Apple.

General lack of apps is a work in progress. The Windows app store is the fastest growing apps store to date and has thousands of apps. It has also been said that it is about quality over quantity. Are you really going to need 750k apps that the other guys are offering? If there isn't a particular app you want contact the developer and express interest so they can get to work on it. Most early reviews were done on units issued prior to launch of the device and the apps store.

If negative reviews and these particular items are important to you and you don't feel the Surface handles them adequately then don't get a Surface because clearly it isn't what you are looking for. The least you can do is go by your own analysis though and forget what the main stream media is telling you if it doesn't match up to what you are seeing in reality. Make it a personal decision not a media decision. That is all everybody here is saying and doing. What is becoming reality is that the actual users are saying the mainstream reviews got it wrong. Covering your eyes and ears to that isn't going to change it.

JP

GreatWindows

Well here in Virginia Beach, VA i went to the bestbuy and they told me that they got 100 surfaces, and on the day that they went on sale they sold 2/3 of them....................So yeah, they are moving quick.

robertsurface

Bought an ipad 4 at Best Buy on BF and it was on sale. I am so glad I tried the Surface. The interaction is fantastic. I do not need all those ios apps, retina, and Apple's ecosystem. Returning the 4 tomorrow and I will not miss it one bit.

Big Kahuna

Nobody is asking you to drink the kool aid. If you don't believe it get your hands on one and test it out. Clearly you are skeptical and that is the only way you are going to be convinced. You will find some issues sure and many are addressed and noted here. But whole sale the "offcial tech" reviews are just wrong. Yes I am in fact saying that the negative reviews were actually written about a great device.

Some other points:

The sales numbers and facts and figures in the one post you quoted don't match up to the reality that MS has never specifically said how many units it has sold. If this was a marketing effort their numbers would have been more accurate than average joe numbers thrown out. For example marketing people always say you can get the device for just $499 not you can get it for just $500 and MS Office 2013 is worth at least $100 doesn't sound like market speak.

Application launch speed has been addressed with the first update. Also what is "slow"? If it takes 10 seconds to launch an app instead of 5 seconds that is a matter of opinion as to what is not acceptable. Sometimes unique features can override particular quirks. Most early reviews were done on units issued prior to launch of the device and the updates.

Non-uniform controls between apps. Largely they are the same and even with the differences they are still within the frame work of Windows Modern UI. Every mobile OS maker has the same issue with non-uniform controls, even Apple.

General lack of apps is a work in progress. The Windows app store is the fastest growing apps store to date and has thousands of apps. It has also been said that it is about quality over quantity. Are you really going to need 750k apps that the other guys are offering? If there isn't a particular app you want contact the developer and express interest so they can get to work on it. Most early reviews were done on units issued prior to launch of the device and the apps store.

If negative reviews and these particular items are important to you and you don't feel the Surface handles them adequately then don't get a Surface because clearly it isn't what you are looking for. The least you can do is go by your own analysis though and forget what the main stream media is telling you if it doesn't match up to what you are seeing in reality. Make it a personal decision not a media decision. That is all everybody here is saying and doing. What is becoming reality is that the actual users are saying the mainstream reviews got it wrong. Covering your eyes and ears to that isn't going to change it.

JP
JP, After reading your thought evoking reply, not only am I thoroughly convinced that Microsoft marketing has infiltrated the Best Buy reviews, but that in fact, many on this forum are Microsoft employees and/or shareholders!

If you've followed me on my introductory thread, you will know that I'm fairly certain I'll will be finding a Surface under the tree on Tuesday. As a precursor to ownership, I came to this forum to hear what users have to say good and bad. I'm quickly finding that if anyone has the audacity to question the Surface's performance and short comings, they are chastised and made to feel bad and unwelcome.

I'm used to lightning fast application launches on my android phone. Apps launch in less than 2 seconds, it's something I have taken for granted and expect in my future purchases. I was lamenting waiting 5 or 6 seconds but now you're telling me some apps take 10 seconds to load?
I don't care about a 750k app pool, but I do expect to see all the basic popular apps available. The apps I use daily on my droid. Seems counter intuitive and the way technology changes, 6 months down the road, when these apps are developed for RT, we could see ver 2 by that time.

I'm a big skier and 20 years ago, the snowboarding craze took center stage and we skiers were made to feel like the uncool PC guy in the Apple commercials. Now that ski technology has changed, skiing has become the new wave and we are the free thinking rebels. That's the way I want to feel with The Surface. I've always been a PC guy and watching all the coolios on their iPhones and iPads, I want to come out as the cool adopter of the Microsoft Surface.

I sincerely apologize to you and any other Surface faithfuls if I've offended anyone with my bold assertions and presumptions. I will have to wait and see how I like it. I really do want to love it. For now, I'll remain quietly in the background and keep my thoughts and observations to myself.

Currently down, but not out,
BK

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Big Kahuna, sorry if I came across as trying to push you to the background. I was trying to do the opposite and let you know that the "professional reviews" are not all they are cracked up to be. Is it possible there are inflated reviews on customer based review sites? Certainly, just as it happens with apps in any app store. However, if you feel the customer reviews are biased and the opinions on this board are biased (I like to think enthusiastic) and that professional reviews raise your concerns, then just go out ant try the Surface in real life. It certainly is a device that comes across well in person!

There are absolutely issues with the Surface and that is what is great about this forum. We can all share the cool thing we find that work as well as ask for help with the things we have issues with. I hope that when you finally do get to open up your Surface you will be as pleased with it as the majority of members here and find some great tips to get you going as well as contribute any great tips you find along the way.

:D JP

Edit: Full disclosure - I do in fact own some Microsoft stock and have held Apple in the past. I switched from an iPhone to a WP7.5 to my current Android phone, the HTC One X. I have had 3 Nook Colors and a Nook Tablet rooted and ROMed, a rooted Vizio VTab 1008 and a Nexus 7. I just ordered my Surface RT but won't have it until tomorrow ;)

Last edited: