What's new

how can i check out library ebooks?

J515OP

Super Moderator
You simply need to find out which format your local library uses (usually epub) and then find a reader app that supports that format. Your library should have actual instructions on how to download books from their website or location. So checkout your library's website and see what they say to do.

JP

brauntex

My library uses an app called Overdrive to administrate it's eBook check-out process. The app is available in the Store for free download. As stated previously, check your library for it's specific requirements.

compnovo

I use the Kindle app and after I check out the Kindle version of the book I go into my Amazon account ("Manage my Kindle") and send it to the Surface.

Jere

My library also uses Overdrive Media Console with the software for eBooks as Adobe Digital Editions. I can't find ADE in the MS store. If I go to Adobe's web site and try to down load ADE software I get a message saying it will not run on my computer. I guess it's the "RT" problem. Any one have any more info re ADE? Tx.

Sin

Have you installed Overdrive Media Console and searched for your library? I don't believe you need Adobe Digital Editions.

bosamar

I've never considered checking out a eBook from our local library. Out local library is actually quite good, its linked with entire county with 100,000s of books. I'm going to check out their eBook program.

Series7man

:starstruck:DUH!!!

That is something I never considered. Just checked my local library and they use Overdrive Media Console. They even have the links to download the apps from their website. No wonder I read this forum!!!:D

Series7man

So I put the OMC App on my Surface, found my local library and then went to sign in with my library card........it says I don't exist! I thought it might be a Surface problem so I tried to log into the library e-site from my desktop and it too says I don't exist. Hmm, I guess I need to go see "Marian the Librarian" and find out why I have gone away!

bosamar

So I put the OMC App on my Surface, found my local library and then went to sign in with my library card........it says I don't exist! I thought it might be a Surface problem so I tried to log into the library e-site from my desktop and it too says I don't exist. Hmm, I guess I need to go see "Marian the Librarian" and find out why I have gone away!

Probably because the last time you used your card was in 4th grade! Lol :tongue:

popartist

With my libraries (NY and Brooklyn) one can use either Overdrive or Kindle - many books are available in both formats. For Kindle, you can just browse and borrow through the regular web browser, then it will download to be used in the Kindle app. I love borrowing ebooks from the library, and the bonus is that you will never incur fines as the books will never become overdue - they return themselves. ;)