What's new

How do I get surface dock 2 and surface pro 6 showing 5140x1440 resolution option

Digital+

How do I get surface dock 2 and surface pro 6 showing 5140x1440 resolution option?

I set refresh to 60.

The highest available is 3840x1080.

I saw where the surface pro 6 will go up to 4100 x XXXX, but that isn't even showing.

And I cleared the display cache.

Is it possible to get at least the 5K setting to appear, but when the dock 2 supports up to 6K I would like that instead.

wpcoe

Interesting question. I'll be interested in the replies.

What cable are you using? USB-C to DP? Does your monitor support a 4100 resolution?

OP
D

Digital+

USB-C to DP1.4 8K cord. Monitor is 5140x1440 max resolution. Dock 2 can go to 7400 by XXXX at 30 hz which is fine for me. But not sure if the Pro 6 is even capable of pushing out more than 4k X XXXX at 30hz with the Dock 2

wpcoe

The i7 SP6 has an i7-8650U and according to the Intel spec sheet the max resolution for that CPU with HD 620 graphics is 4096x2304@60Hz , so I don't think you'll see anything higher than that.

(The i5 SP6 with i5-8250U has the same HD 620 graphics with same maximum resolution.)

OP
D

Digital+

The i7 SP6 has an i7-8650U and according to the Intel spec sheet the max resolution for that CPU with HD 620 graphics is 4096x2304@60Hz , so I don't think you'll see anything higher than that.

(The i5 SP6 with i5-8250U has the same HD 620 graphics with same maximum resolution.)

If I upgraded to a i5 surface pro 7 can I do it? As I understand it with 30 hz I can. But the lc49rg90ssnxza monitor I have doesn't have a setting lower than 60 hz. It has 120, 100 and 60 hz settings. So will it show 5120 x 1440 at 30 hz if the setting is at 60 hz?

wpcoe

The i5 SP7 has an i5-1035G4 Processor which does support 5120 x 3200 resolution, but the intel spec sheet doesn't mention the 30Hz restriction, so I'll take your word for that.

I'm leery of third-parties reporting specs on Intel processors, but this web site says the i5-1035G4 supports 5120x3200 @ 60 Hz on DisplayPort. So, maybe you'd be okay?

As far as the monitor itself, I don't know how the monitor would handle a 30Hz signal if the lowest it operates at is 60Hz. Hopefully, someone much more knowledgeable than I will comment on that.

darwikmartin

There is a reference to 5k here. I have a lg 49WL95C-W 49 inch. I have tried the surface dock 2. I have only used the usb-c with the Dock and without the Dock. I cannot get resolution beyond 3840 x 2160. I've installed drivers from LG, Nvidia and attempted Intel but MS uses custom drivers for Intel hardware.
There are 3rd party devices listed here but I don't want to have a custom setup just for this laptop. I use my desk for work laptop. These 3rd party devices use DisplayLink which removes some of the functionality of graphics. I would need to have 2 displayports on my monitor and I do not. Appears the usb-c should be enough!?
Is there a way to use my usb-c and get 5k resolution? 30 Hz or 60 Hz doesn't matter.

wpcoe

There is a reference to 5k here. I have a lg 49WL95C-W 49 inch. I have tried the surface dock 2. I have only used the usb-c with the Dock and without the Dock. I cannot get resolution beyond 3840 x 2160.
Still speculating here, but I wonder if your LG monitor supports 5k @30Hz which, according to the linked site you provided, is what the Surface Dock 2 supports.

The LG spec sheet for your monitor only mentions 60Hz, as does the downloadable product manual. Do your monitor settings include an option for 5k @30Hz?

darwikmartin

Hmmm that very well could be it!
Thanks for doing the research! Well I don't know which way to go. Have had each item longer than return policy and each one is pricey to replace!
You seem to be well versed in these products, do you happen to know if the Surface Book 3 will work with this monitor?

wpcoe

Appearances aren't always what they seem. LOL

Sorry, but I'm far from an expert. I am very familiar with the SP2007 & SP6 & the original Surface Dock because I own(ed) them. That said, looking at the specs for the Surface Book 3 it says it comes with an NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti . The specs for that card say it supports "7680x4320 @ 120Hz " which I assume means it would support a lower resolution (5k) at a slower rate (60Hz.) Unless, of course, Microsoft for some strange reason would restrict the performance with the NVIDIA card, which (to me) would not make a lot of sense. You have been warned. :D

Coffee

I have a SB2 and a Dock 2 connected to a Sammy CRG9 which is the 49" 5120x1440. After messing with forums, cables, and more tech information than I care to recall - the solution is 2x USB-C to DisplayPort. The surface recognizes the two monitors as stacked next to each other and "essentially" work as a single unit by setting PBP (Picture By Picture) One monitor runs at 100Hz and the other at 60Hz but I can pin it back to 60 each - just havent seen a reason. I can open a window across both and it works fine...just have fun getting wallpaper that works!