What's new

how do I go back to Windows 8 from 8.1?

JMG

I need to go back to windows 8 from 8.1 so I can once again connect to my work server. They (my employer) currently do not support windows 8.1 and barely supported windows 8 so I doubt they will be in a rush to offer support. I am not too technically savvy so I need help in laymans terms.

thanks,

oion

I need to go back to windows 8 from 8.1 so I can once again connect to my work server. They (my employer) currently do not support windows 8.1 and barely supported windows 8 so I doubt they will be in a rush to offer support. I am not too technically savvy so I need help in laymans terms.

thanks,

You can attempt to restore to an earlier Restore Point or do a factory reset (last resort ** Edit to add, I'm assuming you have a Surface, but other devices will be a little different). You'll have to disable Windows autoupdate to avoid being forced into 8.1 after either method; I personally use a REG (registry) file to just disable/enable autoupdate since I'm on Windows RT and there doesn't seem to be a manual option.

If attempting a restore point, which is available for any non-RT Windows machine, see if you can find one before the 8.1 patch release date, so before October 17.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC - Microsoft Windows Help

Factory reset will only apply to the Surface Pro/RT first gen, since those came with Windows 8.0 instead of 8.1. If you're on a second gen, a reset won't apply to this situation.

Last edited:
OP
J

JMG

I attempted to restore to an earlier Restore Point but there was no option for one prior to the 8.1 install. It sounds like the only way to go back to windows 8 is a Factory Reset at this point. Unfortunately I installed Microsoft Office on my Surface Pro and don't want to lose it. Am I correct in thinking this is now my only options?

oion

I attempted to restore to an earlier Restore Point but there was no option for one prior to the 8.1 install. It sounds like the only way to go back to windows 8 is a Factory Reset at this point. Unfortunately I installed Microsoft Office on my Surface Pro and don't want to lose it. Am I correct in thinking this is now my only options?

You would have to reinstall MS Office; if it's a work copy, that should be no problem, I imagine (just talk to your IT). But yes, it seems your only choice on your Surface Pro is a factory reset now. You should still patch up to the 8.1 update, but make sure you disable autoupdate.