What's new

How do I Keep Surface screen clean

AJKL

Hello All

Recently I was gifted with Surface Pro. It's an awesome tablet with nice touch screen response, I was looking for recommendations on how to keep screen at it's best peformance.

•How do I maintain same sensor response like it is now as brand new for long life?
•How do I clean my screen i.e. while the phone is off or while screen is locked? And if I use some more force compared to light feathery touch to clean wipe screen from finger prints - Am I damaging the sensor?
•Quick confirmation, the glass is Gorilla glass on screen to my knowledge which is scratch free, do I need any kind of screen guard still?

Thank You
AJKL

Igor

I do not know of any special technique to retain "sensor response". I'm pretty sure it should just work.

Clean your screen with a microfibre cloth for fingerprints or smudges. Make sure you remove any dirt/sand/dust particles by blowing them away before you wipe it with the cloth as these could scratch the screen.

See these threads about the need for a screen protector:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/4626-scratch-gorilla-glass-type-cover.html

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/5027-just-like-my-surface-pro-gets-s-first-scratch.html

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/4830-screen-protector.html

mph

Surface Pro has, as almost every touch-based device a capacitive touch screen (Touchscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
so as long as you dont't damage the glass it's pretty durable technique.

Besides: I use a cotton rag and some window cleaer (a similar german version of this: Amazon.com: Glass Plus Glass Cleaner Trigger, 32 Ounce: Health & Personal Care e.g.). I spray the window cleaner on the rag so it's damp. then i just run the rag over the glas front of the surface and dry it with the remaining dry parts of the rag.
It works fine

Just don't drown the cotton rag with the window cleaner.

Same goes for the backside btw

Since i figured the touchcover doest the work of protecting the screen i dont use a special sceen protector. but i guess this differs from user to user here

OP
A

AJKL

Thanks Guys - This helps !

Thanks for responses guys, this helps

I guess I will go with clean cloth wiping & no screen protector for now. Just want to make sure of last part 'if I use slight more force compared to light feathery touch, I am not damaging the screen sensor unknowingly, the surface is off while it's bathing time ;-)'

CrippsCorner

Sometimes I hate using mine because it looks so beautiful just sitting there lol... but yeah, the microfibre cloths are the way! Amazing things, I use them to wash my car as well (not the same ones mind)

tonyz3

something else you might want to try is getting some RainX from any auto dept- even Wal-Mart has it. after cleaning the screen put a little dab of Rainx on a cotton cloth than apply it to the screen, after it fogs over or dries, rub it off. I usually do this about 3 times in a row. The RainX will do a few things, 1 make your screen super smooth for touch swiping etc, 2 it will help keep it cleaner in-between cleanings. Usually what fingerprints you do get rub off a lot easier with the RainX on the screen. I will apply the RainX probably once(that 3 applications each time) every 3 weeks or so as needed. I have used this for all of my devices for years and have not had any issues with the screen, pen etc.....

Added--- i dont use a screen protector never did, but the rainX obviously you wont apply on a protector-- just incase someone was getting ready to ask that.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

something else you might want to try is getting some RainX from any auto dept- even Wal-Mart has it. after cleaning the screen put a little dab of Rainx on a cotton cloth than apply it to the screen, after it fogs over or dries, rub it off. I usually do this about 3 times in a row. The RainX will do a few things, 1 make your screen super smooth for touch swiping etc, 2 it will help keep it cleaner in-between cleanings. Usually what fingerprints you do get rub off a lot easier with the RainX on the screen. I will apply the RainX probably once(that 3 applications each time) every 3 weeks or so as needed. I have used this for all of my devices for years and have not had any issues with the screen, pen etc.....

Added--- i dont use a screen protector never did, but the rainX obviously you wont apply on a protector-- just incase someone was getting ready to ask that.

The best part is that you can then tape your SP to the outside of your windshield giving you a heads-up display and the rain will bead right off.