What's new

How do I quickly switch apps and more importantly, kill apps

macmee

I know you can swipe in from the left to quickly handle your apps, but this is... awkward. Also, it seems that even when I swipe down on apps (except for the mail app which swiping down does nothing), it makes it look like it closed the app when in reality it is still running in the background.

App management sucks on W8. Can anyone recommend me a third party app management app? Perhaps one that can also be invoked by swiping in from the left of my SP2.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can hover in the left corner with your mouse and you will see all of your Apps that are running. In Window 8.1 to close an App you Swipe from top down, pausing a bit and till the screen "flips" and then it closes.

beman39

yea I don't know why MS made it so you have to close apps like that, it was fine and faster to just swipe it down, now it takes longer to close an app and I find that annoying

CrippsCorner

Absolutely agree, still trying to find a way round this... well, get it back to the Windows 8 way of doing things.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Theory is you don't really need to close Modern UI Apps, the OS suspends any App not in focus freeing its resources to be used by other Apps or Services. Most of the first party apps function properly but your mileage varies with the 3rd party apps.

kristalsoldier

The Theory is you don't really need to close Modern UI Apps, the OS suspends any App not in focus freeing its resources to be used by other Apps or Services. Most of the first party apps function properly but your mileage varies with the 3rd party apps.

Ok. Now that makes sense...though, I wonder about the efficacy of the system.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The easiest test on your system is to open a few Modern UI Apps and then head to the Task Manager and open it in the detail view there you can see the resources being consumed by the Modern UI Apps. Below, Apps with the check mark are Modern UI Apps and the double check are Modern UI Apps allowed to run in the background. taskman.PNG