What's new

How do I recover "ALL" partitions from a image file?

Trollstrollr

When i bought my Surface 4 laptop a year or two ago, the first thing i did is create a windows image backup of the hard drive. I did this before anything else. Since i have upgraded to windows 11. Now I've succesfully returned it to the original win10 by recovering from that image i took on day one.

The problem is that when i try to load back the original image, It will only recover the c: drive, not the other two partitions. There is the recovery partition and one other that i would like to also fully recover.

There is a box you check to tell it to recover "all" partitions, but I can't check it. The next box below says I have to load hardware drivers if you can't check the box. I have looked all over for these drivers.

When i look at the device manager my drive is a "HFM256GDGTNI-82AOA".

Can anyone tell me how I can recover all three partitions? It seems to want a driver install program.

Attachments

• 20220520_175312.jpg
    20220520_175312.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 171
  • 20220520_175325.jpg
    20220520_175325.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
OP
T

Trollstrollr

I think you are right about the drive i'm booting from. I just made a recovery usb drive so i can boot from that but i get an error when i try to copy my image file to it. it says the file size is too big for that file system.
Im going to work on it now. Any suggestions? This isn't very important, I just like to always return it to original factory files after i tried windows 11.
Thanks for your help.

OP
T

Trollstrollr

I did it. Thank you. I just created a bootable usb drive from a 128G usb then assigned a drive letter to the leftover space, and put the image file there. After booting from the usb it found the image file and it showed all three partitions in the list it recovered.
Thanks again

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did it. Thank you. I just created a bootable usb drive from a 128G usb then assigned a drive letter to the leftover space, and put the image file there. After booting from the usb it found the image file and it showed all three partitions in the list it recovered.
Thanks again
good job, well done