What's new

How do I send screen to another monitor using cable?

Arizona Willie

I just received a cable I ordered with the mini-hd plug to HDMI plug.
I plugged the small end into the Surface Pro and the big end into my ASUS monitor and set the switch to HDMI input and it says < no signal >.

Do I have to do something to send the screen to my monitor?

bertopl

I just got one of the docks yesterday and it came right up. I originally tried a generic monoprice adapter but with the side of the surface being at an angle, I couldnt get that cable to properly seat. I now have the dock and the official surface cable. you can try swiping the right of the screen and choose devices. you should be able to control which monitor you want from there but like I said, mine came up straight away with the dock and MS cable in mirrored mode.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I < may > have a defective cable. I trimmed the small end that goes into the Surface and as I was trimming it, the entire cover came loose and slides back up the cable.

That eliminates any problem plugging it in :)

But, it seems to go in either way. One way looks to be a little further in that the other way.
There is a small piece of black plastic that I was wondering if there was a plug in the hole and if I need to remove it.
I went into Display on the Surface and found the Project to a Monitor spot and told it to Duplicate the display on the second monitor but I get nothing.
Monitor says no HDMI signal.

< sigh > looks like I spent $8 for a screen wiper and another stylus because apparently this cable doesn't work.
It was advertised as for the Surface Pro so it < should > have fit without even any trimming.
Without the casing it certainly has no problem going in until it hits something and won't go further.
When plugged into the monitor and the Surface Port, the monitor is not listed under Devices and Printers either.

I just got one of the docks yesterday and it came right up. I originally tried a generic monoprice adapter but with the side of the surface being at an angle, I couldnt get that cable to properly seat. I now have the dock and the official surface cable. you can try swiping the right of the screen and choose devices. you should be able to control which monitor you want from there but like I said, mine came up straight away with the dock and MS cable in mirrored mode.

bertopl

yup, sounds like youre not getting a good connection then. I havent really scrutinized my cable but I believe theyre designed to plug in one way only, like the usb cables have that plastic piece in there.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is why I buy the one designed for the Surface devices, yes the cost me $40 but they always work...

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Well, the Surface does recognize I was set for two monitors. I went into Settings and where the icon of the monitor is, mine showed locked and I tried to unlock it which would allow screen rotation and it would not let me.

Said screen rotation was disabled when using multiple monitors.
So apparently it is plugged into the Surface properly and thus it is recognized but no signal to the monitor.

I suppose it is possible the monitor end has too big a cover on it. Maybe trimming that down would let it go in further.
But it looks like it goes all the way in.

I tried plugging it into an HDMI port on the bedroom tv and that didn't work either.

So it's either the cable in going into the monitor needs to be trimmed or there is a broken wire or it is miswired.
Arrrggggghhhhh a pox on the Chinese ;)

But the Surface does know it is plugged in.

jimkraz

I bought my mini display adaptor from a local computer shop, the guy was very helpful and made sure I got correct adaptor and a good HDMI cable, though not too expensive
though it all cost me about twenty quid, and it connected first time no problems, nothing to click on or set, my screen showed up on my monitor as soon as it was switched on, I had bought a full cable before, a Chinese one, it did not work either, hence my trip to a decent computer store.