What's new

How do I stop power saving causing media to close

pdes

While playing streaming media, it closes when the power save kicks on. Is there a work around for this without having to reset the power saving parameters every time I want to stream something?

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
While playing streaming media, it closes when the power save kicks on. Is there a work around for this without having to reset the power saving parameters every time I want to stream something?

Thanks
What App are you using? Groove and Pandora should be able to keep running in the background even in S0iX...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
iPlayer is a Win32 App and will go into sleep when S0iX kicks in....

Could you clarify jeff (i am so frazzled from my dissertation that I'm not even sure if I remember your name correctly, let alone if I'm reading things right!), but isn't S0iX about standby etc, because the way I'm reading g the thread is about when the device enters low power mode when the battery is low and it restricts background tasks such as downloads, updates, syncing etc. I could be way off the mark on this one.

If you could clarify as well pdes, just to humour a fool like me. By power saving g do you mean the machine going to sleep, or power saving mode when the device is low on battery.

I'm tired and confused. Forgive me if you wouldn't mind :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Could you clarify jeff (i am so frazzled from my dissertation that I'm not even sure if I remember your name correctly, let alone if I'm reading things right!), but isn't S0iX about standby etc, because the way I'm reading g the thread is about when the device enters low power mode when the battery is low and it restricts background tasks such as downloads, updates, syncing etc. I could be way off the mark on this one.

If you could clarify as well pdes, just to humour a fool like me. By power saving g do you mean the machine going to sleep, or power saving mode when the device is low on battery.

I'm tired and confused. Forgive me if you wouldn't mind :)
Hey Hugh :)

OP is appearing to stream (DNLA or Miracast) from the BBC iPlayer Application which is Win32, when the Surface enters its low power state it kills the streaming from the Win32 App as Win32 treats S0iX (aka - Connected Standby) as S3 (Sleep). I did not realize that it was video streaming...But with a UWA compliant media App DNLA Streaming (video or audio) should work even in S0iX.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Hugh :)

OP is appearing to stream (DNLA or Miracast) from the BBC iPlayer Application which is Win32, when the Surface enters its low power state it kills the streaming from the Win32 App as Win32 treats S0iX (aka - Connected Standby) as S3 (Sleep). I did not realize that it was video streaming...But with a UWA compliant media App DNLA Streaming (video or audio) should work even in S0iX.

Yeah, I get that, but I think the confusion comes from my own interpretation of the thread. I'd originally read it as power saving being battery power saver, not simply going into CS (although in honesty I don't even know if the power saver feature would effect things like streaming).

I am now pondering the issue though. Do some win32 apps have the ability to override the windows power settings? VLC (win32) covers most all of my media requirements, and it somehow stops the machine from going into standby whereas if I were to leave youtube open on chrome, the machine will go into standby after its allotted time.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I get that, but I think the confusion comes from my own interpretation of the thread. I'd originally read it as power saving being battery power saver, not simply going into CS (although in honesty I don't even know if the power saver feature would effect things like streaming).

I am now pondering the issue though. Do some win32 apps have the ability to override the windows power settings? VLC (win32) covers most all of my media requirements, and it somehow stops the machine from going into standby whereas if I were to leave youtube open on chrome, the machine will go into standby after its allotted time.
Lots on Win32 Apps can prevent the machine from entering S0iX....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots on Win32 Apps can prevent the machine from entering S0iX....

Thanks. In that case I was just wondering if there is a browser which will override windows power settings, and just stream iplayer through the browser (never seen any need to use any kind of iplayer app on a windows computer so am unaware if it offers extra features or such)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. In that case I was just wondering if there is a browser which will override windows power settings, and just stream iplayer through the browser (never seen any need to use any kind of iplayer app on a windows computer so am unaware if it offers extra features or such)
iPlayer allows for offline viewing (download the episode and watch rather than stream).

OP
P

pdes

This when the SP4 goes to sleep

OP is appearing to stream (DNLA or Miracast) from the BBC iPlayer Application

To clarify, this isn't a DLNA or Miracast issue. This is just listening to incoming internet streams on iPlayer. No casting involved.

Cheers

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This when the SP4 goes to sleep

To clarify, this isn't a DLNA or Miracast issue. This is just listening to incoming internet streams on iPlayer. No casting involved.

Cheers
Win32 Applications are suspend when the machine enters into SOiX, you will need to plugin or change the power settings....