What's new

How do I switch to desktop mode without a keyboard?

Knubblo

How can I reach desktop mode instead of metro if I do not have an external keyboard? Is the only option the tile "desktop". If desktop already has been opened I can switch between desktop and metro with the windows key in charms or left side app menu. But what do I do if the desktop mode has not previously been opened, like when my Surface first boot up?
Is the "desktop" tile the only option?

Kind regards
Knubblo

Last edited:

bluegrass

I'm wondering if Knubblo didn't purchase a keyboard and the desktop icon isn't on the start menu, how can he get to the desktop to follow the step by step direction given in the link to the TechNet blog. I have put a "Desktop" icon on my start menu but I'm not certain it is in the apps list. He didn't state what model Surface he has.

oion

I'm wondering if Knubblo didn't purchase a keyboard and the desktop icon isn't on the start menu, how can he get to the desktop to follow the step by step direction given in the link to the TechNet blog. I have put a "Desktop" icon on my start menu but I'm not certain it is in the apps list. He didn't state what model Surface he has.

It's in the "all apps" list, AKA apps view. (@Anyone else reading this: On the Start Screen, swipe up from a blank spot to get to apps view. The desktop tile should be listed there alphabetically. Long-press and choose "Pin to Start.")

Barring directly booting into desktop mode, there are only three ways to get to the desktop that I know of, once you boot into a Win8/RT device: open a desktop application (e.g. Word), type 'desktop' into the search charm, or through the Metro tile assuming you pin it back onto the Start Screen.

As for booting to desktop mode, let's say OP can't find the desktop tile and is in the Start Screen. Just use the search charm for "taskbar" and select Taskbar and Navigation. That sends you directly to the option dialog.

Renigami

By default, the Desktop Tile should be on the forefront of the Start Screen. I am not sure why you would need to swipe to the "All Apps" screen.

My Desktop tile is the largest one of them all.

CrippsCorner

Yes it should be on the Start Screen but strangely they never put it top-left by default... so you're left to re-arrange it so you can simply press enter to get into it after booting.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
By default, the Desktop Tile should be on the forefront of the Start Screen. I am not sure why you would need to swipe to the "All Apps" screen.

My Desktop tile is the largest one of them all.

In RT 8.1 the desktop tile was removed from the Start Screen on all New Accounts or non-synced machines.