What's new

How do I sync my windows 8 desktop apps to my surface pro?

vortech

First off...hello everyone! Great forum! I have recently migrated from the Apple world to Win 8. My question is:

* How do I sync my desktop (Win 8) apps to my Surface Pro? In other words, I want my desktop to look exactly like my pro when it comes to apps, etc.

Thanks

ScottyS

Not sure what you mean by "How do I sync my desktop (Win 8) apps to my Surface Pro?"
If you want the same apps on your Surface Pro that you have on your desktop, you need to install those apps on the Surface.
There's no way I know to "sync" them so that if you move around an icon on your desktop's desktop, it would be moved on your Surface; they are two different computers (it's not like syncing iPads with iTunes).
You can use SkyDrive to save files to so they'll be accessible to both. You can use Remote Desktop to see and run one computer from the other when they're both on the same network.

Or you can do what I did, ditch the desktop computer and connect the Surface to your monitor and USB hub when you get home. I got a 27" monitor running 2560x1440, USB mouse and keyboard and several external and portable HDs and flash drives totaling more than 3TB for storage.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 8.1 will sync your Modern UI Apps across devices and allow for your Start Screen to sync as well......

TeknoBlast

I think 8.1 will give you that ability. The other day I installed a fresh copy of WIN8.1 on my ultrabook and when I signed in, all my apps were in the same arrangement on the Start screen as my Acer tablet. So the tiles were there, but did have to redownload all those apps, so all you have to do is tap on the app and the download start.

First off...hello everyone! Great forum! I have recently migrated from the Apple world to Win 8. My question is:

* How do I sync my desktop (Win 8) apps to my Surface Pro? In other words, I want my desktop to look exactly like my pro when it comes to apps, etc.

Thanks

You need to sign-in on both systems with the same Microsoft Live ID account. This will allow you to synch changes done on one UI to all the other Windows 8.x environments you will subsequently login using the same Live ID account.

The other way is to register all you systems to an Activte Directory Domain and use a roaming Active Directory account. However this is usually beyond most home-based environements.

kristalsoldier

Windows 8.1 will sync your Modern UI Apps across devices and allow for your Start Screen to sync as well......

Will that allow for having the websites that I may have pinned to either device (desktop or RT) to also sync and appear on each device?

Nuspieds

At home I have my SP2 (main PC), my SP1 and a VAIO laptop, all running Win 8.1 Pro.

When I make changes on my SP2 Desktop, those get sync'd no problem to the other PCs, but my Start Screen changes, for some reason, are not getting sync'd! :(

What could be the problem?