What's new

How Do You Backup Your SP4?

DavidZ

It just occurred to me that I don't backup my SP4. Since I use it only for travel and recreation, any data on it is duplicated elsewhere. But if it crashed, I would have to reconfigure it. Therefore, an image backup might be warranted for me.

How do you backup your SP4?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't :) I've faith in my little fella (plus in my instance it would be a huge 6 programs to install, and that's pretty much the extent of re-configuring it)

My main computer would be a different story, but then I change things around on that so frequently that any backup would become obsolete within days, so I also don't bother :)

ScottyS

Most of my files are in OneDrive or the mSD card but I also use Settings/Update & Security/Backup using File History.
Reinstalling apps is just a matter of downloading and installing the few free apps (VideoLAN, DVD soft, etc.) as I need to use them. Office 365 installs well from Office web site and the only major program I need to hook up a DVD for is Photoshop.

coolowl

I have a tiny 128GB flashdrive sticking out of the USB slot. It just stays plugged in all the time. It only sticks out about half an inch so there isn't much risk of it getting knocked out of place. Like others, I also use OneDrive.

Edited 128GB from 128k. Thanks to David for reporting the error.

Last edited:

jerry2020

question regarding an image
can you image everything including apps so restoring an image gets tou up and running without adding anything else?

OP
D

DavidZ

I have a tiny 128k flashdrive sticking out of the USB slot. It just stays plugged in all the time. It only sticks out about half an inch so there isn't much risk of it getting knocked out of place. Like others, I also use OneDrive.
128k? Do you mean 128 GB? What do you use it for?

OP
D

DavidZ

My main computer would be a different story, but then I change things around on that so frequently that any backup would become obsolete within days, so I also don't bother :)
Since I own/run a small business that's highly dependent upon data, there's no way I could do without backup. It would be suicidal.

My SP4 is a different story. There's nothing on it that's critical. It's just a question of how much work it would take to get it back to where it was before the incident.