What's new

How do you handle going to bed to music/video on the Surface 3?

ajharper

MS says it's a tablet when you want it to be and a laptop when you need it to be. However, there's no true "sleep timer" that will close any video/music streaming apps. This is especially helpful when I'm watching shows on Netflix when I go to bed. Netflix queues up the next episode automatically so it would play all night. The Suface doesn't allow you to turn off the screen without putting the device to sleep either.

On my Android tablet I set my sleep timer app and it shuts down the apps, lowers volume, etc. and the the device goes to sleep but still wakes me up when my android alarm goes off. There's no easy way to do it on the Surface. I could toy around with killing tasks. However, I can't shut it down via shutdown.exe because I still need the alarm to wake me.

My current android tablet has replaced my alarm clock, my ipod/radio, and acts as my movie viewer. I was hoping the surface could do all that and act as a laptop too. Anyone have any suggestions?

drbwell

MS says it's a tablet when you want it to be and a laptop when you need it to be. However, there's no true "sleep timer" that will close any video/music streaming apps. This is especially helpful when I'm watching shows on Netflix when I go to bed. Netflix queues up the next episode automatically so it would play all night. The Suface doesn't allow you to turn off the screen without putting the device to sleep either.

On my Android tablet I set my sleep timer app and it shuts down the apps, lowers volume, etc. and the the device goes to sleep but still wakes me up when my android alarm goes off. There's no easy way to do it on the Surface. I could toy around with killing tasks. However, I can't shut it down via shutdown.exe because I still need the alarm to wake me.

My current android tablet has replaced my alarm clock, my ipod/radio, and acts as my movie viewer. I was hoping the surface could do all that and act as a laptop too. Anyone have any suggestions?

I wonder if Windows 10 will have the sleep timer app in the OS?

OP
A

ajharper

You can set up a Spotify or Itunes playlist before bed and there are alarm clock apps.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/alarm-clock-hd/4e56c781-8c4a-4a59-8d22-01340e1681e2

You can also set a timer on this site: http://e.ggtimer.com/8hours or set some kind of scheduled task to wake you in the morning or use a phone for the alarm clock.

That alarm clock app also has a sleep timer.

It doesn't look that app has a sleep timer. It has an alarm clock that will wake you from sleep but it doesn't look like it has anything that puts the machine in standby after a specific period of time. That's what I really need.

netuser

It doesn't look that app has a sleep timer. It has an alarm clock that will wake you from sleep but it doesn't look like it has anything that puts the machine in standby after a specific period of time. That's what I really need.

It may not put the entire device into standby, but it shuts down the music after a set period of time. Maybe Windows will put itself to sleep some time after the app stops.
When you expand the description says:
"
app. Alarms in this app are capable of waking up your device from sleep (if supported by your device).

Roaming alarms | Toast Notifications | Wake-up from Sleep | Weather | World Clocks | Music Player | Radio Player | Facebook | RSS News | Alarm Sounds - Built-In, Custom or Radio | Sleep Music & Timer | Picture Themes – Built-In or Your Own | Live Tile Clock | Room Light Sensor | Functional Snapped View | Highly Customizable"