What's new

How do you mobile users carry around your SPs and SBs?

I currently use a 3rd gen iPad I take just about everywhere with me and for work, a 15" Dell laptop I don't take anywhere unless it's specifically to a client site. I'm looking at the SP4 or SB to replace both these devices but I'd like to know how those of you with these devices carry them around with you.

I have a Brookstone portfolio cover for my iPad - it's black leather with slots of business cards and papers and it provides LOTS of padding which is great because I'm clumsy. I've dropped my iPad on concrete, asphalt and just yesterday down the stairs and it's still in almost mint condition. Is there anything like this for the Surface Pro or the Surface Book?

Do most of you keep your Surfaces in those thin leather or vinyl sleeves and just walk around with these in your hands, or are there thicker portfolio-like cases available, at least for the Surface Pro? Or do you have a big padded computer bag you always take with you when you have your Surface Pro or Surface Book out with you?

Thanks very much in advance!

Jesse

VanGoddy pa
I currently use a 3rd gen iPad I take just about everywhere with me and for work, a 15" Dell laptop I don't take anywhere unless it's specifically to a client site. I'm looking at the SP4 or SB to replace both these devices but I'd like to know how those of you with these devices carry them around with you.

I have a Brookstone portfolio cover for my iPad - it's black leather with slots of business cards and papers and it provides LOTS of padding which is great because I'm clumsy. I've dropped my iPad on concrete, asphalt and just yesterday down the stairs and it's still in almost mint condition. Is there anything like this for the Surface Pro or the Surface Book?

Do most of you keep your Surfaces in those thin leather or vinyl sleeves and just walk around with these in your hands, or are there thicker portfolio-like cases available, at least for the Surface Pro? Or do you have a big padded computer bag you always take with you when you have your Surface Pro or Surface Book out with you?

Jesse

VanGoddy padded bag, Skinomi carbon fiber skin.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If the weather conditions are good I carry just the Surface with type cover, if its raining I carry it in sleeve

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Surface Book and Surface Pro 3:

Lightweight generic computer bag. Stickerboy.net protection. No need to carry smartphone charger - use the brick USB power from Surface charger.

Darnellmc

I make sure to turn mine off when I put it in a leather sleeve. To avoid any possible heat building up. But I only use the sleeve when I am in situations where I am concerned it could be dropped or in travel.

ScottyS

I use a small computer bag to take my SP3 to and from work, but at work I carry it in just the type cover.
I wear a lab coat at work and got ones with a large pocket (made for iPad, actually) where I store it if I need to have my hands free.

CrippsCorner

Nixon sleeve for me...

en-INTL-L-Nixon-Surface-Sleeve-Black-DAF-00367-RM1-mnco.jpg

Just carry if like that if it's a short distance, or might chuck it in in a bigger backpack if I'm going further afield!

Jesse
I use the amazon basics laptop case...less than $15 and it has more than enough padding to not worry...Although part of me thinks I should have a larger laptop as well, I have to say that there is nothing my surface is not able to do that I need it to do and I have all of my laptop and tablet work in one place...I keep my over-priced type cover on at all times unless I am looking to make unit lighter for reading...

kristalsoldier

I carry both my SP3 and S3 most of the time. So, I use a smallish NorthFace bag which allows me to put inside the SP3 in the Incipio sleeve it was originally sold in (some promotion at the release of the SP3 where I bought it) and the S3 in a generic nylon sleeve. The Pen is stashed in the bag and I carry no cables on me.

Other times, when I am just working on the SP3, I either carry it in a sleeve if I am going to be spending my day outside or by itself but with the Type Cover on.

If I am taking out the S3 only, then it goes with me in that nylon sleeve and the Pen is usually stuck in my pocket.

Having said the above, I think the way I carry the S3 is negatively impacting how I use it. Taking it in and out of the sleeve at the quick is, under some circumstances, cumbersome. I want to use it more and more as a digital notepad (and an e-reader which is works very well). Maybe a folio is a good idea - for repeated easy access. What do you guys think?

Edit: And this is precisely the reason that I was eagerly looking forward to a magnetically attachable Cover from MS. I mean it would be just like the Type Cover (texture, colour options etc) but without the key mechanism. In other words, it would be just a cover with the auto on and off capability when opening (folding it over) and closing it etc. It would have seriously highlighted the tablet-aspect of the S2. Oh well!!!

Last edited:
When I go to church I take it without case...in this manner I can open fast for note taking and/or Scripture look-up as well...I generally only use the bag if I am going somewhere like work...