What's new

How do your speakers sound?

longcipher

Hey Folks!

I am loving my Surface! Quick question: how do your speakers sound? When I play music from xbox music, it sounds muffled and lo-fi. Overall, it seems as if the speakers distort or overmodulate very easily. Is this just my issue or do you all hear this as well on your unit?

Thanks!

J515OP

Super Moderator
From the reviews I read the speakers were very weak in terms of volume but they said the sound was clear and free of distortion. That may be because the levels are so low but hopefully both issues can be fixed with a software update.

Marco

I found that the volume has to be at 100% to hear a video even when I am in a quiet environment. I think external speakers or headphones will be necesary to really enjoy watching movies on the Surface. I hope future models will come with louder speakers.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hey Folks!

I am loving my Surface! Quick question: how do your speakers sound? When I play music from xbox music, it sounds muffled and lo-fi. Overall, it seems as if the speakers distort or overmodulate very easily. Is this just my issue or do you all hear this as well on your unit?

Thanks!

I just tried it on mine (I've been using it with headphones mainly), and unless you put it all the way to the max volume, it does sounds more muffled. Starting from Max going down, I can hear it gets more muffled the lower it gets.

Hagar

I put it side-by-side with my Transformer Infinity and it is a bit quieter and much more distorted at 100% volume. I've tried videos and music and the Surface distorts badly at full volume. You have to back it off to about 90% and it's okay, but it's not very loud...

OP
L

longcipher

Thanks for the replies. One last question: when you press the volume slider down, does it automatically dive to zero? mine does, and its frustrating.

Marco

If your volume slider is at 100% and you touch the white square at the top of the bar, you can slide it down to any level. If you touch the bottom of the blue vertical bar, then it jumps to 0%. If you touch in between, it will jump to that level. You are probably just touching to low to the bottom of the bar and making it "dive to zero".

OP
L

longcipher

That would make sense if I was using the onscreen controls, but I am talking about using the physical buttons on the side of the unit. I can repeat this quirk every time I use those buttons.

Br1an_g

my speakers sound fine even on less than full volume for music

movies are a bit quieter but I put that down to the encoding

guitar1969

There are volume enhancements to make them louder. look in control panel - sound. I believe the second and fourth options are the ones to do this.