What's new

How I fixed my scaling issues in old games

Darker Shadow

So many of you have issues with older games running smaller - the black border issue and seems that certain ways work for certain people and very few can manage to make it work right. I manage to (accidentally at that!) get MechCommander Gold And StarCraft 1 full screen and here's how. I figured I'd join and tell everyone else. It may work for some and not others but I figured any information is good info on this.

So reading around people say they had to dumb down their resolution and so I wanted to give it a try... looking at the scales they had I was trying to figure out between 1366x768 and 1360x768. I got there by (and this is important part of how I did this) by right clicking on the desktop and toward the bottom of the menu is a "Screen Resolution" - Also found in Control Panel - Appearance - Display - Screen resolution... Anyway, I chose 1360x768, then decided to look at the advanced settings. Under Advanced Settings is a tab called "Intel HD graphics control panel" and in that tab is a scaling. Pull the menu down and tell it to scale full screen. Now tell it Accept and THEN change your Resolution back to 1920x1080 so your desktop is back to normal. Pull up your game and if you are anything like me then your games are now full screen! And if you are wondering it does not change already full screen games like Diablo 3. Everything works as it should. Now... don't know about games that get installed after this NOR am I sure whether that scaling trick I explained is just that, a trick, or whether what I did tells HD Graphics that ANYTHING running at that resolution (such as 1360x7680) to run at full screen scaling. I just know it worked and I wanted to share the information and maybe people can learn from it.

OP
D

Darker Shadow

That was for a Surface Pro 2, should work for a Pro 1 as well I would think. May work for an RT as well but I can't figure out why you'd need it to... an RT just uses games from the Windows Store which I would have thought should be optimized for an RT.