WANT or NEED a Surface Pro

• Want

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Need

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ArnoldC

Right now, having an Acer Aspire S3 running Windows 8 Enterprise allows me to do my job (though my previous stolen one with 8GB or memory and 750GB of storage, is much better than the S3), mostly Hyper-V.

My Surface RT is currently my love, I rarely use my Acer unless I'll do Hyper-V. Having said that, I think I *want* a Surface Pro. Not a need, but want.

So, do you NEED or WANT a Surface Pro?

:)

Arctherus

You know, it really appeals to me, but I really need something with more power. If it could be upgraded to 8gb of ram, and even a i7 processor, Im completely willing to pay the premium.

That's a tough question. I, too love my Surface RT and have completely replaced both my laptop and iPad with the Surface as a travel pc. I continue to rely on my networked office/home desktop pc (Win8Pro, Intel Quad4, 3.4 gHz , 16GB RAM, NAS, dual monitor, etc) for most of my day to day work, but increasingly use the Surface for an expanding number of things. I guess my thoughts are that the Surface Pro with full program compatibility will be even a better fit for me. My concerns are, battery life as well as size and weight, because one of the things I like most about the Surface RT is it's form factor and battery life. There are a bunch of unknowns regarding the Surface Pro that will be resolved as soon as I can actually see one, for example boot time. I love the instant on feature of most tablets and don't know how the Surface Pro will be in that regard. All in all, I think it will boil down to a hands on experience before I can actually decide. If the Pro is basically an RT clone with the additional capability to run everything my desktop does , then I'll probably have to have one. Anyway my wife wants my RT so it's a good fit.

Russ

do you NEED or WANT a Surface Pro? :)

Arnold --

Yes, to both. As I have explained elsewhere, the Pro will become my Ladyfriend's travel computer, replacing her laptop. I get to set it up for her, . . . . and, maybe, even play with it just a little bit before I give it to her.

So, my cursor is hovering over the pre-order button. If I could just find the pre-order button.

Take care,
Russ

compnovo

No to both for me, the RT fits my needs and wants perfectly. When the Surfaces were first announced I knew the RT was going to be my choice because it's lighter, thinner, passively cooled, comes bundled with the only Office apps I need for work, and less expensive. The longer [assumed] battery life for the RT is just icing on the cake.

Now, if I got a Pro for my birthday would I return it? No way. :big smile:

No to both for me, the RT fits my needs and wants perfectly. When the Surfaces were first announced I knew the RT was going to be my choice because it's lighter, thinner, passively cooled, comes bundled with the only Office apps I need for work, and less expensive. The longer [assumed] battery life for the RT is just icing on the cake.

Now, if I got a Pro for my birthday would I return it? No way. :big smile:

+1, word processing is what I use my computer for, so I'm good with the RT. I do need to get a cable so I can plug it into a video projector occasionally. I'm really pleased with the RT.
Think I'll be even more pleased when I get a type cover.
If I needed a computer to do my job I'd probably buy an inexpensive laptop that used windows 8, but so far this is meeting my needs and most of my wants.

Leica

Pro is too heavy for a tablet. I wish there was a Surface "Semi-Pro" with an Atom. No fan or weight and full Windows 8.

OP
ArnoldC

ArnoldC

I envy you. He he. In the last Microsoft event I attended, every one in our table won. I have to do the hula hoop for a Windows Phone
Shirt !
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express