What's new

How Microsoft screwed up, and wont help

squadz

Let me start this off by saying that I absolutely love my Surface Pro 2, and enjoy it as a device. This is my first product of the Surface family, and I'm thoroughly impressed with the hardware, and I really wish I had a Type Cover 2 to compliment it.

1. Placed an order for a Type Cover 2 through the phone with Microsoft Store. Order was confirmed, student discount received, and it showed up perfectly under Orders in my account when I checked.
2. Receive an e-mail from Microsoft saying my Touch Cover 2 has shipped. Naturally, I'm like wtf? so I kindly called and explained they're shipping the wrong keyboard. At this point, the Type Cover 2 was still in stock, and I specifically asked if I should order a new one, at which point I was told no, as exchange would be quicker.
3. I receive the cover, ask for a return label, and bring it to UPS.
4. When I see it's received on their end, I check my account and I have no orders showing (wtf?). I call and I'm told that there's no exchange listed on my account, a refund has been processed. Okay.. so I tell them the story and tell them to ship my Type Cover 2.. nope, not in stock. So now I'm furious, and ask for the manager. The manager is as useless as the representative. There was nothing she could do, no one higher than her to send me to and no compensation being offered.

Why am I mad?

First off, Microsoft screwed up the order on their end, and it magically got changed from a Type to a Touch Cover 2. Fine, I can live with that, just send me the right one. Second, I specifically said I would buy the Type Cover 2, since it was in stock, and I was told not to because an exchange is faster. Fine, I can also live with that. Third, when I call and explain the situation and how Microsoft screwed up twice, I was told to go buy it locally and that there was nothing they can do. No compensation, no replacement unit, no other person to speak to. Just one single "supervisor" that read off a script and barely spoke English.

I love the Surface 2 Pro, I'm sure I'll love the Type Cover 2, but Microsoft's support is beyond terrible. All I wanted, was a Type Cover 2 sent to me, and I would be happy to pay full pop, even though they screwed up, but no, there was no one that could help me.

/frustrated

beman39

wow that sucks, I would be pissed too, but what I would do is call another rep and asked to speak to another manager and try to explain the situation and add to the new manager rep how the 1st manager, managed to botch this up to add insult to injury and perhaps maybe they can compensate you by offering a discount and free shipping! but def call again don't give up...

I would keep sending in every type of customer service complaint I could figure out how to send, over and over and over again, until some movement takes place. I would continue to try to move past that manager's level. I'm sorry but customer service that isn't is unacceptable. This attitude doesn't always work out for me, but it's the one I'm stuck with.

hypokondriak

This company that Microsoft has outsourced the call center to for their store is awful. You may want to try contacting the Microsoft Store on twitter see if they can refer you elsewhere.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
S

squadz

This company that Microsoft has outsourced the call center to for their store is awful. You may want to try contacting the Microsoft Store on twitter see if they can refer you elsewhere.

Tried that, will see if they respond, doubt it.

Seems silly that would be the only way to escalate my case. There is really no other options, or "higher" people to speak to. One call center, with one supervisor, no customer relations time or anything. That's scary as a consumer.

weedking

Ditto. I have been less than impressed with the service received from the MS Store. Different answers depending on who you ask, conflicting information, lack ownership on issues.

beman39

Ditto. I have been less than impressed with the service received from the MS Store. Different answers depending on who you ask, conflicting information, lack ownership on issues.

you mean call center and not the store, because I have read nothing but good things on this forum and others about how splendid the problem was solved at the MS stores...

weedking

you mean call center and not the store, because I have read nothing but good things on this forum and others about how splendid the problem was solved at the MS stores...

Yes, the call center that supports order inquiries on microsoftstore.com. My one and only experience with a brick and mortar MS Store was fine.

Rallicat

Where in the world are you?

I had a horrible experience ordering my Surface RT from the MicrosoftStore website here in the UK last year. Bad delivery information, problems with the order process, poor helpline. Eventually I was thrown a £50 voucher to use (saved it for my Surface 2 order this year!).

Microsoft (at least in the UK) outsource the store website, who in turn outsource the helpline to someone else. Basically if it works - it's great, but if anything goes wrong? Well then you're dealing with a series of companies and departments that are all separated from each other, aren't really geared up to offer good customer service, and just suck in general.

Last time round I tried and tried to get my problem converted into a complaint but they fought me all the way, even the MicrosoftStore twitter account didn't respond. If you get mad enough, maybe do what one person did and take out a 'Promoted Tweet' on twitter about how bad an experience you have had! That might get their attention ;)

OP
S

squadz

Where in the world are you?

I had a horrible experience ordering my Surface RT from the MicrosoftStore website here in the UK last year. Bad delivery information, problems with the order process, poor helpline. Eventually I was thrown a £50 voucher to use (saved it for my Surface 2 order this year!).

Microsoft (at least in the UK) outsource the store website, who in turn outsource the helpline to someone else. Basically if it works - it's great, but if anything goes wrong? Well then you're dealing with a series of companies and departments that are all separated from each other, aren't really geared up to offer good customer service, and just suck in general.

Last time round I tried and tried to get my problem converted into a complaint but they fought me all the way, even the MicrosoftStore twitter account didn't respond. If you get mad enough, maybe do what one person did and take out a 'Promoted Tweet' on twitter about how bad an experience you have had! That might get their attention ;)

Toronto, Canada.