What's new

How much Charge did your 128 have?

xterrapro

Mine was dead until I plugged in AC adapter. Think this is the first product that I have purchased, possibly ever that was dead out of the box.

magicrobots

I've had a lot of stuff dead out of the box. I am usually pleasantly surprised when something has charge out of the box; I don't expect it.

Russ

I've had a lot of stuff dead out of the box.

MagicRobots --

That is more the norm than not. I plugged mine in before I even turned it on. The only time I expect charged batteries is when the battery case is accessible, and there is a little plastic insulator strip to remove before using the device.

Regards,
Russ

stringbeanie

Is there a way to look on the ouside of the pro (some light that changes) to indicate that the unit has achieved full charge? My charger light has been white since I turned it on.

Nemesis296

Is there a way to look on the ouside of the pro (some light that changes) to indicate that the unit has achieved full charge? My charger light has been white since I turned it on.

That's a great question, I'll have to test it out to see. Mine came with about 40% battery. As vicbush said, enough time to play around for at least a few hours.

Battery life if you haven't heard (or seen) seems to be a bit better than the reviewers claim. I'm currently staring at 35% and I've still got around 2 hours of battery.

bosamar

For what its worth the RT charger does not change color when fully charged. The 48-watt power supply included with your Surface Pro (or purchased separately) can also be used to charge Surface RT. The 24-watt power supply designed for Surface RT can be used to charge Surface Pro, but the charging will take much longer.

OP
X

xterrapro

Wonder how long it will take to charge with the RT charger. I have several left over from my RT return. IT did not seem lightening fast charging on the pro charger... probably an overnight affair with the RT one.

Nemesis296

Wonder how long it will take to charge with the RT charger. I have several left over from my RT return. IT did not seem lightening fast charging on the pro charger... probably an overnight affair with the RT one.

It takes 2-2.5 hrs with the Pro charger. I'd add twice that for the RT charger (I have no way to test or confirm that). I deal with the same issue using my iPhone charger with my iPad. Takes at least twice as long to charge than if I use the big block adapter instead of the small phone plug.

J515OP

Super Moderator
It takes 2-2.5 hrs with the Pro charger. I'd add twice that for the RT charger (I have no way to test or confirm that). I deal with the same issue using my iPhone charger with my iPad. Takes at least twice as long to charge than if I use the big block adapter instead of the small phone plug.

You must have an older iPhone. It does take twice as long because the iPad chargers draws at 2amps and the older iPhone chargers only provide 1amp so charging takes twice as long.

This is not the case with the Pro and RT chargers. Though I haven't read the actual power rating on the pro charger (look at the brick and it should give volts and amps) my understanding is the pro charger is over powered. This was done to allow power for charging a second device on the USB slot as well as allowing fast charging while the pro is in use (full size processor takes power away from charging otherwise).

So in theory if you use the RT charger with the Pro off or asleep it should charge just as quickly as with the Pro charger. If in use it will take longer but not necessarily twice as long.

machistmo

You must have an older iPhone. It does take twice as long because the iPad chargers draws at 2amps and the older iPhone chargers only provide 1amp so charging takes twice as long.

This is not the case with the Pro and RT chargers. Though I haven't read the actual power rating on the pro charger (look at the brick and it should give volts and amps) my understanding is the pro charger is over powered. This was done to allow power for charging a second device on the USB slot as well as allowing fast charging while the pro is in use (full size processor takes power away from charging otherwise).

So in theory if you use the RT charger with the Pro off or asleep it should charge just as quickly as with the Pro charger. If in use it will take longer but not necessarily twice as long.

I don't have my RT charger with me as I returned my personal RT for the 128Gb Pro. I have my Work RT but left the charger at work. The RT really holds its charge well and provided I just respond to emails and such, I never have to charge it over night. Now Kill some Zombies on Judge Dread or play SoulCraft and that's a different story. The Pro Charger does seem to be a higher output but I agree that it might be just for the USB port provided.

Last edited: