What's new

how much memory to leave for microsoft updates on surface 2 32gb?

Rio

Just curious how much memory i should leave on my 32gb surface2 for updates and such from microsoft? Right now i have 15.9gb space available out of 25.3 gb..i wanted to put a couple of files i need on my desktop and it's around 11.4gb. Is 4gb available,enough for future updates and such from microsoft?

oion

Just curious how much memory i should leave on my 32gb surface2 for updates and such from microsoft? Right now i have 15.9gb space available out of 25.3 gb..i wanted to put a couple of files i need on my desktop and it's around 11.4gb. Is 4gb available,enough for future updates and such from microsoft?

For that much personal data, honestly I'd get a microSD card; don't forget that Windows will use some of the free space for the paging file. SkyDrive has 7GB free, but since you got the Surface 2, it comes with 200GB SkyDive for 2 years (you have to apply the coupon code).

OP
R

Rio

For that much personal data, honestly I'd get a microSD card; don't forget that Windows will use some of the free space for the paging file. SkyDrive has 7GB free, but since you got the Surface 2, it comes with 200GB SkyDive for 2 years (you have to apply the coupon code).

i already have a 64gb sandisk micro sd card in it..it's all used up only have 280mb available on the sd card...i ordered a kingston 64gb micro usb flash drive from amazon but i have 52 gb's worth of videos ,files i want to throw on that... i'll sacrifice some files and put it on the flash drive if i must though. So how much space should i save though to be on the safe side out of the 15.9 available space on the surface though?

oion

Wowza, between 64+64+11, then you're probably better off getting a portable USB HDD...

As for the required minimum for Windows RT, I don't know; I don't think MS published sys reqs for that since it's an OEM-only OS. You could just drop your stuff onto it and wait for the storage space error...

OP
R

Rio

Wowza, between 64+64+11, then you're probably better off getting a portable USB HDD...

As for the required minimum for Windows RT, I don't know; I don't think MS published sys reqs for that since it's an OEM-only OS. You could just drop your stuff onto it and wait for the storage space error...

haha yea i have alot of files...i already have a wd 1tb portable hd but i don't wanna carry it around...i just want sd card and the kingston thumbnail drive in it. I am happy i have this luxury though of having a full usb port and micro sd slot on my surface 2 though, considering i'm coming from an ipad. The best thing is i paid around $20 for my surface2, traded in my ipad and old iphone 4 at bestbuy and they gav me $440 for them ^_^

oion

haha yea i have alot of files...i already have a wd 1tb portable hd but i don't wanna carry it around...i just want sd card and the kingston thumbnail drive in it. I am happy i have this luxury though of having a full usb port and micro sd slot on my surface 2 though, considering i'm coming from an ipad. The best thing is i paid around $20 for my surface2, traded in my ipad and old iphone 4 at bestbuy and they gav me $440 for them ^_^

Nice!

Well, I suppose a small collection of microSD cards do take up a lot less space than a portable USB drive. I think you're just going to have to experiment, though, given just how much stuff you have. :p All we know is that Windows 8.1 RT required at least 2,250 MB free, and that was a big patch (included Outlook RT).

Omni

Might have been better to get a 64GB S2.. but sounds like you got a good deal on a 32GB. I'd leave 2-3GB for the system. It will soon moan if its running low. Hopefully we will have 128GB SD cards in the near future. :)

OP
R

Rio

Might have been better to get a 64GB S2.. but sounds like you got a good deal on a 32GB. I'd leave 2-3GB for the system. It will soon moan if its running low. Hopefully we will have 128GB SD cards in the near future. :)

*drools* i can't wait, that would be amazing..

Telstar1948

Has anyone seen anything official that says the Surface microSD card hardware can handle anything larger than a 64GB card?

Omni

Unlikely.. but theres plenty of devices that say they only support 32GB and work with 64GB cards just fine. Just means they've not been tested generally.