What's new

How often do you really use your pen?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Try the Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus ( Amazon.com). I find it has a more paper-like feel when writing on glass. Plus it looks pretty good, too.

Yes was thinking about that but heard there were quality issues with the black one. I would think the added weight would improve writing ability on glass as your hand wouldn't jerk about as much with a heavier pen.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

One thing that would help would be a screen protector that was ultra clear HD but also had some texture to it to give a paper-like resistance. Anti-glare protectors do this but make my screen look sparkly which is undesirable. What I need is an anti-glare texture on a clear HD screen protector. In addition, the oleophobic coating on the gorilla glass makes cleaning fingerprints off the glass very easy. HD screen protectors I have used in the past make cleaning fingerprints much more challenging.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I use it all the time. My appraisal work requires me to fill out forms by either checking an item or selecting a field that brings up a drop down box. I could never do this with my fingers. I have a case that has a strap on the back an I am able to securely hold the SP with one hand and use the stylus with the other.
Does the Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus have an eraser, that is a must for my work. I do agree though that the SP stylus is very slippery when using it and it can get difficult to write with and straight lines for sketches that I draw.

That is the time I find my pen most useful, when I am in a situation where both hands are not available to type.

I wish someone knew the Registry Setting that would allow me to turn off the cursor under the pen. :-(

Nuspieds

Presently, I do not have any note-taking or drawing use for the pen, so seldom do I use it.

When I do, however, it is when I'm using the SP as a tablet (Type Cover removed/folded back) and I'm interacting with a Desktop app that is obviously not touch-friendly. Thanks to the pen, I can use it like a mouse and click and access all sorts of UI objects that are difficult to accurately select with a finger.

dcb

I use my pen daily (Well, Monday - Friday)

I mark up 48" x 36" PDF drawings with site conditions and field dimensions. It's a huge time saver for me. As far as the note taking/hand writing part, I have never even tried it. I will stick to the type cover.

Other mentioned the glass action with the pen. While it's a little strange, it doesn't bother me. It's an entirely new experience since I hold the surface in one arm and right standing on a filthy construction site.

I don't like the built in pdf mark up app since it's limited. The PDF Touch $3 app is a waste for me too...Bad action on the writing. I use Bluebeam Revu for PDF mark ups.

MMU

I always use the pen when I play Wordament. Best app ever and I get higher scores using the pen.

deavod

I use it all the time. My appraisal work requires me to fill out forms by either checking an item or selecting a field that brings up a drop down box. I could never do this with my fingers. I have a case that has a strap on the back an I am able to securely hold the SP with one hand and use the stylus with the other.
Does the Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus have an eraser, that is a must for my work. I do agree though that the SP stylus is very slippery when using it and it can get difficult to write with and straight lines for sketches that I draw.

No, the Bamboo Fell does not have an eraser. I use it mostly for OneNote so I select the eraser if I need to erase.

T3Jn

I'm with the OP here - big selling point for me was the pen. The technology has always been good on MS tablets since their release a decade ago, still is. However I find I hardly use it. I thought I would use it a lot and was obsessed with knowing that the 'palm detection' worked before buying the surface, now the only time is use the pen Is to doodle UI designs and code models, works nicely when screen sharing.

Type keyboard jut too good and convenient - screen keyboard suits well in more casual situations. If on the Pro 2 they could design the thing to work on your lap with the type keyboard then perfect!

TagsxA

I use the pen at least once a day (for meetings at work). I use it in conjunction with Microsoft journal. It's much more useful than I thought it would be and I have already completely replaced my pad of paper for meetings. Now, all I need is a decent simple case so that I can use it to replace my take-with-me pad of paper for when I trouble-shoot issues away from my desk!

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I use the pen at least once a day (for meetings at work). I use it in conjunction with Microsoft journal. It's much more useful than I thought it would be and I have already completely replaced my pad of paper for meetings. Now, all I need is a decent simple case so that I can use it to replace my take-with-me pad of paper for when I trouble-shoot issues away from my desk!

Best Surface Pro case you can buy (when it gets back on stock - these are super popular so you have to catch them before they sell out).
Amazon.com: Manvex Slim and Compact Leather Folio Case Cover for the Microsoft Surface PRO Tablet with Windows 8 | Built-in Stand with Multiple Viewing Angles with Stylus Holder - Also compatible with the Type Cover and Touch Cover from Microsoft (Ke

Talldog

I hardly ever use my pen to write with, but I mostly use my SP in tablet mode and the pen makes a great mouse for desktop apps. That's why I always keep it tucked into its little holder on the top of my Manvex cover, which I hope will be back in stock soon so I can buy one for my wife.