What's new

How to backup and restore sp4?

CapsLock

Hello,

I just bought a sp4 to replace my laptop. I have a question on how you guys handle incidents where in you need to revert back to an old working state of Windows.

My backup strategy is proven very effective on traditional laptops: I have 2 partitions; C is for programs and windows and D is for my files and everything else. I configured my docs, desktops, etc. to be stored in D drive so everything is transparent; if it is on my desktop; it is in my D drive. I use Acronis to create an IMAGE backup of just the C drive and I do normal file level backups for the files in D. If I get a virus in C or windows suddenly crashes due to a program I installed; I can easily restore an image of C and be right where I left off with my latest files untouched.

Do you guys use something like this to protect your setup and files? I also have a cloud account (gdrive) where all my small files that I update everyday are kept. So I have local backups and extra copies in the cloud.

I haven't used any of the windows backup and restore features as I don't trust them yet; or just used to the old and trusted method. But I'm willing to embrace the changes since we are now moving into smaller and lighter... although less customisable machines.

Last edited:
Hello,

I just bought a sp4 to replace my laptop. I have a question on how you guys handle incidents where in you need to revert back to an old working state of Windows.

My backup strategy is proven very effective on traditional laptops: I have 2 partitions; C is for programs and windows and D is for my files and everything else. I configured my docs, desktops, etc. to be stored in D drive so everything is transparent; if it is on my desktop; it is in my D drive. I use Acronis to create an IMAGE backup of just the C drive and I do normal file level backups for the files in D. If I get a virus in C or windows suddenly crashes due to a program I installed; I can easily restore an image of C and be right where I left off with my latest files untouched.

Do you guys use something like this to protect your setup and files? I also have a cloud account (gdrive) where all my small files that I update everyday are kept. So I have local backups and extra copies in the cloud.

I haven't used any of the windows backup and restore features as I don't trust them yet; or just used to the old and trusted method. But I'm willing to embrace the changes since we are now moving into smaller and lighter... although less customisable machines.

Single 512GB partition w/Windows 10 recovery partition, full Macrium Reflect .RIMG disk image stored on 2TB external 6.4 oz. Seagate Backup Plus Slim I carry when traveling, along with 20GB USB boot/jump drive with Rufus, three .RIMG images' history on 3TB Western Digital book on my desk.

All data on an external 128GB Patriot mSDXC that gets duped to the Backup Plus Slim and replicated from there to the Book. Only thing I keep on OneDrive is pictures.

Clean my hard drive regularly with Wise Disk Cleaner, CCleaner and Windows tools, particularly after big updates like the most recent firmware one. Anything ever goes arse over teacups I have double redundancy on data and just boot to the Macrium stick and restore to a previous image, takes about an hour.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe Acronis works now although I use Macrium Reflect. There were some issues with Acronis initially so you probably need the latest version of it. IDK the level of support they provide, with Macrium you don't have to turn off anything or modify a thing on the Surface Configuration and it works with Surface Secure Boot and Bitlocker encryption. If Acronis still has issues with any of that Id switch rather than fight. :)

leeshor

I agree with @GreyFox7 but with the exception of making certain you have a good image of everything but the D drive, (using your incremental plan for D) it sounds solid but I would go with Macrium over Acronis.

I once had probably 30 customer sites using Acronis now all be 2 are using Macrium.

OP
C

CapsLock

All data on an external 128GB Patriot mSDXC that gets duped to the Backup Plus Slim and replicated from there to the Book. Only thing I keep on OneDrive is pictures.
Hello,

I'm a bit hesitant in keeping my data files in an easily removable sd card. Are you not afraid that a thief might be able to easily steal your sd card and get access to your data files? (unless it is encrypted).

if you sd card is encrypted; will it still work after you restore to a previous image?

Hello,

I'm a bit hesitant in keeping my data files in an easily removable sd card. Are you not afraid that a thief might be able to easily steal your sd card and get access to your data files? (unless it is encrypted).

if you sd card is encrypted; will it still work after you restore to a previous image?

It's Bit-Locker'ed and I keep my encryption recovery passwords on my smartphone and OneDrive both. I've restored to a previous image a couple of times, the images pre-dating the Bit-Locker'ing, and it works fine.