What's new

How to change icon picture in Metro Interface?

Vanz

Hi, I'm new to this forum, nice to see so many Surface Pro users... I'm liking mine more and more...

Question, anyone know how to change the icon pictures for the Metro interface? For example, say I navigate to Google, then I pin to start. I get this crappy looking blue icon with a small "g" in it, ugly, ugly...

I would like to grab a snap shot of the colorful Google characters, save it as a .jpg file, then replace the ugly icon Windows created for me with this jpg file? Can't see a way to do this, basically I'd like to be able to customize the icons like "Change Icon" works for previous versions of Windows...

Thanks,

Vanz

ZachBui

yeah you can do this, it's saved in one of the locations in the drive, I forget where, then it's as easy as replacing the image with the right format. I'll take a look later today

OP
V

Vanz

yeah you can do this, it's saved in one of the locations in the drive, I forget where, then it's as easy as replacing the image with the right format. I'll take a look later today

cool... awaiting your replay, cause I got nothin... and Google's got nothin... thanks ZachBui...

tonyz3

go to XDA Dev website and search for '[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs - that is one way but i am curious if zach has another way....

ZachBui

that works too, though it depends on how you want it to work. i believe if you do it that way, it will only open up in desktop IE. But if its metro IE then it'll be a bit different.

But if you want it to view on desktop IE then tonyz3 way will work

Last edited:
OP
V

Vanz

go to XDA Dev website and search for '[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs - that is one way but i am curious if zach has another way....

Yeah I tried OblyTile, did not like it... don't want all my apps launching in desktop mode...

ZachBui

it's nothing too impressive though lol,

Anyway for websites, I've been trying to get it working/tweak via Oblytile, but the website launches desktop mode.
So the best that I could find out is that it would use a desktop icon instead =/ . Let me know if you're still interested.

ex:(So you can only edit the center icon..)
Screen_Shot_2013_04_18_at_9_50_23_PM.png

ZachBui

let me know if you guys still need these alternatives
one way is making a shortcut and that will open metro IE, but the icon will be like post #9
the other way involves linking another application to switch over to metro IE

OP
V

Vanz

let me know if you guys still need these alternatives
one way is making a shortcut and that will open metro IE, but the icon will be like post #9
the other way involves linking another application to switch over to metro IE

so can you change a metro icon and have it launch in metro mode?

I was playing around with Tile Genie but it always launches itself, which is annoying but acceptable... but then it stopped launching my apps all together. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but it still isn't working... :(

It started messing up shortly after I installed OblyTile, but I see no way to uninstall OblyTile? It does not show up in the "Programs and Features" area in the control panel in Desktop mode and it does not show up in the apps area in the metro interface, any ideas? This is getting really frustrating trying to change these Metro tiles, I have a bunch of ugly generic looking tiles as I've basically deleted most of the default tiles that came with it as I found most of them useless... i.e. I prefer google over bing for searches, I prefer weather.com over bing weather ...etc and now my metro interface looks like crap... :(