What's new

How to change what the purple pen button does...

mitchellvii

I am trying to use EventGhost:

to see if I can program my pen's bluetooth button double-click to launch the SnippingTool.exe instead of sending a screenclip to OneNote. I just prefer it.

Now here is the weird part. If you go to Windows Accessories and {Shift}+{Right Click}+{Copy As Path} Snipping Tool it will return:

C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe

as it should. However, if you actually go to the System32 folder and look for it, guess what, NO SnippingTool.exe. Bizarre. The program clearly works but the path points to a non-existent .exe. So strange.

Anyone have any idea here? I can't launch this with EventGhost because the path doesn't work even though I know the path is correct. Where is SnippingTool.exe?

Last edited:

foghat

It is there for me. What happens if you copy and paste that location in windows explorer?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 627

Telstar1948

I am trying to use EventGhost:

to see if I can program my pen's bluetooth button double-click to launch the SnippingTool.exe instead of sending a screenclip to OneNote. I just prefer it.

Now here is the weird part. If you go to Windows Accessories and {Shift}+{Right Click}+{Copy As Path} Snipping Tool it will return:

as it should. However, if you actually go to the System32 folder and look for it, guess what, NO SnippingTool.exe. Bizarre. The program clearly works but the path points to a non-existent .exe. So strange.

Anyone have any idea here? I can't launch this with EventGhost because the path doesn't work even though I know the path is correct. Where is SnippingTool.exe?

Unfortunately, I don't have an SP3 handy to check, but on my Win 8.1 Pro desktop machine SnippingTool.exe is in the System32 folder down below where the individual files are shown. First you see all those other folders in the System 32 folder and then below them the individual files in alphabetical order till you see SnippingTool.exe.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Thanks for the responses. Ok, it is now showing up in the System32 folder (who knows why it didn't before), but when I try to set up an Action Item in EventGhost to launch it with the following path:

EventGhost says, "The system cannot find the file specified".

Weird.

If I test with another app, say "Calc.exe" it launches it just fine.

Liam2349

Thanks for the responses. Ok, it is now showing up in the System32 folder (who knows why it didn't before), but when I try to set up an Action Item in EventGhost to launch it with the following path:

EventGhost says, "The system cannot find the file specified".

Weird.

If I test with another app, say "Calc.exe" it launches it just fine.

Perhaps it is a problem with permissions? You might have to properly take ownership of system32.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I'm beginning to think I may need a different Python Command Trigger Event than this one:

eg.TriggerEvent(eg.event.payload[0][8:25], prefix = eg.event.suffix)

to identify the double-click. Right now, single click and double click are launching the calc.exe test app.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reboot. obi wan says: these aren't the exes you're looking for.
you might need another unannounced system update. :-(

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, so apparently the problem is with EventGhost itself. For some reason, even though SnippingTool.exe exists in the System32 folder, EventGhost does not see it. No idea why that would be. It seems to see everything BUT SnippingTool.exe.

GOT IT!
For some reason I had to click the box that says:

"Disable WOW64 filsystem redirection for this application".

Once I did that EventGhost now saw and opened the app. Weird.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, so apparently the problem is with EventGhost itself. For some reason, even though SnippingTool.exe exists in the System32 folder, EventGhost does not see it. No idea why that would be. It seems to see everything BUT SnippingTool.exe.
What if you copy the exe to another folder?