What's new

How to completely kill UI apps

CreativeLemming

In a different thread, I noted that after the fast-swipe-down (that doesn't "close" an app), the app was still taking up more RAM than I liked in the Task Manager.

Are you talking physical RAM, working set, non-paged memory?

As highlighted earlier, there's much more to memory management than meets the eye. I sometimes wish that the surface didn't expose these details, because average Joe usually has no idea what the metrics mean and would be better off with an iPad that hides all of these details, giving one no reason to complain and resort to task killers. As a developer though, can appreciate the need to be aware of potential resource issues.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Really? That seems to defeat the purpose of max screen real estate in Metro format. It makes a lot more sense to me to add a full "close" button to the charms menu instead, while keeping the swipe-down as "sleep mode."

Yeah as Jeff said, only a rumour atm... but a rumour coming from Paul T is better than most. There was an actual image posted but I can't seem to find it now.

millertime_1985

Drag them to the bottom until they are just at the very bottom edge, then hold them at the bottom for about 3-5 seconds until they flip over. This will close them.

For some reason they added this "feature" in Win 8.1...

Over a year using my surface... and im still learning.

Many thanks for the tip

oion

So tell me, how much RAM would you like this app to take up? Are you talking physical RAM, working set, non-paged memory?

As highlighted earlier, there's much more to memory management than meets the eye. I sometimes wish that the surface didn't expose these details to average Joe, because average Joe usually has no idea what the metrics mean and would be better off with an iPad that hides all of these details, giving the average Joe no reason to complain.

Comments like 'taking up more ram than I liked' do make me laugh. Maybe you should apply for a job at MS or Canonical or Apple and tell them how to do things, as obviously you have some insight into computer science and OS design that the rest of us are lacking.

...here ends (starts) my Friday night rant

Calm down, kiddo. More than I liked considering Surface only has 2GB and 8.0 swipe worked to actually close things completely. The problem is that Microsoft changed a standard behavior; on Android, things always stuck around during app switching, but that's standard behavior that the user expects. Maybe you should apply for a job at MS or Canonical or Apple and tell them how to do things, as obviously you have some insight into computer science and OS design that the rest of us are lacking. Pathetic trolling, by the way.

goodintentions

Don't worry, they're adding a X button in the corner to shut Modern UI apps in Windows 8.2/9, just like on the desktop! How forward thinking.

Oh god, please no. I've been designing my apps specifically so people can't shut them down with a single button. This will cause problems for my apps...

CrippsCorner

Still can't find the other article but you can see the X here in the top right hand corner...

Windows81Update1_WindowsApp.png

ScottyS

...You really should put your trust in the OS in this case, and not worry about it - are you actually noticing any problem? ....

Yes. On my system the Microsoft Solitaire app would hang (blue screen with rotating dot circle) if I suspended it (dragged off bottom) and then went back to it. I'd have to go to Task Manager to kill it and then re-launch it.

The link posted by GoodBytes (Defrag Tools: #59 - Larry Osterman | Defrag Tools | Channel 9) explains it well and is a big help, thanks.

Dim-Ize

When at home, my middle mouse button closes the App.

I use Touchme gestures to do the same when on the go.

But, i clearly understand the gap in 8.1 change and how it doesn't resonate with power users mind set of resource allocation.