What's new

Solved how to disable Metro apps from starting up with Windows

RémiM

Hi all,

I've been searching for an answer all day long, and no way to find a decent advice.

Does anybody know how to disable forever some Metro app to start automatically with Windows (for example: Reader, OneNote, Skype 32 bit).

I keep killing them through the task manager and they keep starting again and again alone after a few seconds.

It's not that they use to much ressources, it's just that it bother me a lot not to be able to control them properly.

Thanks for reading.

Rémi.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When you first ran them you allowed them Background Access Permission, Open them in in Settings Disable something to the effect of "Let run in the background...." Skype will complain of not being able to receive calls, etc.

OP
RémiM

RémiM

@jnjroach thanks for your advice. But it doesnt work.

My skype is already disabled to run in the background (doing what you suggested to do), but apparently it doesnt work.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does Skype Ave notification access on the lock screen? Have you installed the Win32 version of Skype?

Grumpy2

I have the same problem with one drive. It keeps syncing every few seconds. I have disabled everything in the one drive settings but that does not work. It still keeps syncing. I do not want to sync to one drive I want everything on my device or sd card.
Any suggestions anyone.
Thanks.

OP
RémiM

RémiM

Does Skype Ave notification access on the lock screen? Have you installed the Win32 version of Skype?

Nope, I stopped the notification access on the lock screen (in permissions).

I didn't download any particular version of Skype. It's the native one. I also uninstalled Skype Wifi.

I have exactly the same behaviour with the Metro OneNote and Reader. No idea how to do it either.

Thanks for the time you spend helping me. I really appreciate it.

surfdock

Use the Microsoft Sysinternals tool autoruns.exe:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

This is a powerful tool and you can mess stuff up, but it will show you *exactly* what is starting each time you boot windows including all the services and hiding spots in the registry and there is a easy UI to temporarily disable stuff. It is a lot more powerful than msconfig.exe or taskmgr.exe.

If this helps, please mark the thread solved.

OP
RémiM

RémiM

Use the Microsoft Sysinternals tool autoruns.exe:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

This is a powerful tool and you can mess stuff up, but it will show you *exactly* what is starting each time you boot windows including all the services and hiding spots in the registry and there is a easy UI to temporarily disable stuff. It is a lot more powerful than msconfig.exe or taskmgr.exe.

If this helps, please mark the thread solved.

Thanks for your answer. I am using Autorun actually.

One of the details provided by the task manager about the Skype (32bit) is that the process' name is WWAHost.exe.

When I run Autorun.exe, I don't see WWAHost.exe. For the Reader app, it is the same. The process' name is glcnd.exe, but I don't see it in Autorun.

I am probably doint something wrong, but I am new with Windows, and I am not 100% comfortable with it yet.

OP
RémiM

RémiM

I am just wondering something. Is Autorun supposed to work with the Metro apps too, or is it supposed to work only with the Desktop programs ?

ctitanic

I am just wondering something. Is Autorun supposed to work with the Metro apps too, or is it supposed to work only with the Desktop programs ?
This is a good question. To me, and I may be wrong, Some metro Apps have associated services like OneDrive and that's what's running in background.