What's new

How to disable top drag to close an app

Jorge

Hello,
I have been looking for over a day and trying applications to only disable the top drag to close an app in Windows 8.1
Everything I've found is regrading left-rigth sides and corners, but I can't find anything that disable this option.
Do you know any way to disable that?
Thanks

Donald King

I have not seen a way to do this. As far as I know it is a function of the OS. Out of curiosity - why do you want to disable it?

OP
J

Jorge

Thanks, I'll try to research or find other ways.
So the idea is to have the surface as in Kiosk mode but with a custom .NET application..shame this is not built-on.

OP
J

Jorge

what I'm testing now is a schedule task to kill explorer process.
Not the nicer solution but might work for me.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
KIOSK Mode is built into Windows 8.x/RT, if your App was WinRT it would be very easy to accomplish what you're wanting to do...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
KIOSK Mode is built into Windows 8.x/RT, if your App was WinRT it would be very easy to accomplish what you're wanting to do...
I'm not [edit] sure I understand what you meant.
Kiosk mode is built into both Win8x and Win RT 8x?
If the app is a MUI app Kiosk mode would take care of it?
Is Kiosk mode the same or different than locking the user to running one app?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a related note but off topic: I really hate swiping top to bottom on the larger SP3 screen to close an App. It would be fantastic if they added the X to a swipe from top edge like you get with the mouse on top edge.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP
J

Jorge

I'm pretty confident that I've checked all possible configurations within Windows, and some other third party apps.
I still think only option for me will be to kill explorer.exe process..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty confident that I've checked all possible configurations within Windows, and some other third party apps.
I still think only option for me will be to kill explorer.exe process..
IMO all that will accomplish is extremely poor performance or total un-usability.

Event trapping is not a configuration it's programmatically handling user inputs like EdgeGesture . IDK maybe this can only be done with MUI apps (Store Apps) in which case you have your answer.
https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/edge-gesture-invocation-76a474dd

OP
J

Jorge

Yes, doesn't sound good killing explorer process.
However like touch screen and Lync calls work fine I'll keep going with this solution from now, thanks!