What's new

How to find which program is using most space on disk?

arbj

Hi,

This may not be really a surface pro question.

In my Spro 3 64GB I find that only 15 GB is free from 53.7 GB, any idea how I can find out which program is using most space, I want to install a program that is almost 16GB in size.

I have Office installed, apart from other small programs.

thanks
a

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

This may not be really a surface pro question.

In my Spro 3 64GB I find that only 15 GB is free from 53.7 GB, any idea how I can find out which program is using most space, I want to install a program that is almost 16GB in size.

I have Office installed, apart from other small programs.

thanks
a
Windows 8 or Windows 10? In Windows 10 you can go to Settings.....System....Apps & Features to see all the Applications including size (Which you can also sort by). If you want another view, click on Storage a few down, there you can safely clean up temp files, etc.

Windows 8 has similar settings but with less details....there are 3rd Party Products that do it better on Win 8 and earlier...

Russ

arbj --

If you are running Win10 and have had an OS update, you probably have a windows.old folder which can be as large as 20G. Use Disk Cleanup to remove it. Disk Cleanup is located in Windows Administrative Tools. When you start the program, in the lower left corner is a button for "Clean Up System Files." Click that and the program will Restart. Scroll down and find "Previous Windows installations." Select that item for removal, along with anything else you choose, and click Ok.

Disk Cleanup is a very convenient tool when space is at a premium, because it tells you what you can safely delete.

Russ

Wayne Orwig

I use Treesize Free from JAM software.

Just noticed that TreeSize touch is the touch version. I'll likely install that now.

Plantje

Of course, the free version exists as well. I must say: if you're used to the full version...the touch version is somewhat of a disappointment. However, it still gives a lot more info than the standard tooling in Windows. I think it is odd though that they have never built in a size attribute at folder level...