What's new

how to get accidentle protection

jakebake

How do I go about getting the accidental coverage for my surface pro if I bought it about a month or more ago from best buy? Is it possible?
Also not sure if I need it because my issue is that one of the bands on the hinge snapped and then caused a crack in the stand. I have never dropped or done any physical damage to my surface ....there are no scratches or anything. It just snapped from normal usage and I feel that is a hardware issue. Do you think the Microsoft store would replace it? I don't even mind paying for it if I have to if I can get the accidental coverage. It just really sucks because it ruins the device without the stand.

Garyjk

it should be covered. but, microsoft complete has to be purchased within 45 days of your surface purchase. not sure if you can buy it from the ms store, i'm sure somebody here knows. since i bought my surface from the ms store online, i had to call and order ms complete because i didn't order it at the time of purchase.

i could have bought it online, but to get the $99 promo price, i had to call.

mtalinm

if you do buy it, don't do so over the phone from Microsoft Support. they took my $149 but are saying they can't send me a receipt (to get reimbursed!).

lkailburn

Not helpful for your situation but when I bought mine from staples they were doing promo for accidental insurance. If I don't use it in 2 years I get full reimbursement of the insurance. it's a no risk win win :)

OP
J

jakebake

if you do buy it, don't do so over the phone from Microsoft Support. they took my $149 but are saying they can't send me a receipt (to get reimbursed!).

Where else can I buy it? And what do you mean reimbursement? My surface pro is a little past the 45 days so is buying the protection not possible anymore? The Microsoft store is pretty far from me so I really hope if I take it in they will replace it. The stand really broke from normal use so I really hope they believe me.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The best thing you can do is plead your care to MS customer service and hope they work with you. At this point you must be closer to 50 days out from purchase and unless there is an obvious defect, like the hinges are cast wrong, your chances are getting pretty slim. Whatever you do, do it now if you have any shot at getting a replacement. The longer you wait the more difficult it will be. Good luck.