What's new

[How to] get back contextual search in windows 8.1.

Wevenhuis

Hi,

Ever since the 8.1 update on my surface pro I'm noticing that Bing search is dominating the search function. It seems that the search of windows 8 that I've got so used to is gone. The new search is perhaps a bit more tailored and efficient, but the compromise is that the contextual search within apps has become more difficult with extra clicks, up to a point it doesn't work unless you first press the search key within the app instead of the search button in the charms bar. With the charms search you do have the option to select from a dropdown menu at the top, to get the in app contextual search, unfortunately though not by default.

Does anyone know how I can change the contextual search within the app through the charms bar to default? I hate having to chose from the drop down menu every time.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
Wevenhuis

Wevenhuis

MS did change the search function quite a bit with 8.1:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-configure-smart-search

I personally disabled the built-in web searching since I'm going to use the web browser if I want that, so that option can save a little fuss. But there is no way to go back to the old contextual app search interface, I'm sorry to say. From what this says, contextual search is still present, but sort of built-in and assumed.

Thanks!

I've found this solution, yes. It still didn't solve my problem. The problem I have is that contextual search has disappeared to a very distant 2nd place. I've noticed that many app developers are slowly transfering the contextual in-app search to a button within the app, but this is confusing my experience even more, because I now have to look the search icon, the charms search was much easier and intuitive. A pity. Perhaps some feedback to microsoft is in order so that they add this option. Seeing that it used to be part of 8.0 I can imagine it can probably be solved by a registry change (or I hope so at least).

oion

Thanks!

I've found this solution, yes. It still didn't solve my problem. The problem I have is that contextual search has disappeared to a very distant 2nd place. I've noticed that many app developers are slowly transfering the contextual in-app search to a button within the app, but this is confusing my experience even more, because I now have to look the search icon, the charms search was much easier and intuitive. A pity. Perhaps some feedback to microsoft is in order so that they add this option. Seeing that it used to be part of 8.0 I can imagine it can probably be solved by a registry change (or I hope so at least).

Honestly I think the reason why MS seems to have shifted the burden of the Win8 search functionality back onto the app developers is that it's NOT intuitive. Historically, search functionality has alway been within the application itself, whether Windows desktop software or apps.

I remember skimming a bunch of reviews for the Nook app because I wondered why its rating was so low, but it turned out many of the reviews were complaints that there was no built-in search function... which is irrelevant on Windows 8, of course, but many users just don't know any better.

You might ask on the XDA forums for potential hacks.

Omni

I'd also like to make the search charm default to the current app. Its extra taps which annoys me about 8.1.

oion

I'd also like to make the search charm default to the current app. Its extra taps which annoys me about 8.1.

That might be fixable in a future patch thing. I suggest taking these types of questions that might have backdoor registry hacks or whatever to the official Microsoft boards (link in sig), give the topic more exposure to the right people who'd have MS connections.

Omni

That might be fixable in a future patch thing. I suggest taking these types of questions that might have backdoor registry hacks or whatever to the official Microsoft boards (link in sig), give the topic more exposure to the right people who'd have MS connections.

Yea good idea I will do that. Something wrong with the site I cant login :(. I have another go later.