What's new

How to get BitLocker key

churin

I encountered BitLocker recovery mode. I did not have any recovery info asked for. I went to the MS website suggested and logged in to my account but was told no recovery info was available.
I have reset the machine now and it is working again. But I still need the BitLocker key in case it is asked for again. How can I get it?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
They do not have it as I indicated in my thread starter post and I checked again after resetting the machine.
Again, are you using a local account or Microsoft Account? If it is a local account it is stored locally if it is a Microsoft Account it is stored on your OneDrive....

malberttoo

They do not have it as I indicated in my thread starter post and I checked again after resetting the machine.

Are you able to get to it this way?

From the Desktop, hold down the Windows key and tap X

Control Panel> Bitlocker Drive Encryption, Manage BitLocker, Then you should see the option to Back up Your Recovery Key.

BL.jpg

OP
C

churin

Let me provide what has been done with the machine since purchased four days ago:
First thing was that I created a local account, switched to that account and proceeded to do as follows: I installed a third party software to get the start button and changed the Windows wall paper. Then I attempted to resize the OS partition by using a third party utility but could not. I thought it was because of TPM or/and Secure Boot Control so that I disabled them. It appeared to me that that caused the the recovery mode situation. I reset the machine and I could resize the OS partition and created data partitions. I enabled the TPM and Secure Boot Control. That's all I have done so far. (Between resetting and resizing partition the same things originally done as above were done again)

C drive BitLocker is not turned on as shown below so it must be turned off by default. Does this mean the recovery mode has nothing to do with BitLocker? I am confused.
BITL.jpg

Last edited:
OP
C

churin

Did I encounter the recovery mode because I disabled the TPM and the Secure Boot Control?
Where is the information asked for in the Recovery mode situation?

Redbonne

I encountered BitLocker recovery mode. I did not have any recovery info asked for. I went to the MS website suggested and logged in to my account but was told no recovery info was available.
I have reset the machine now and it is working again. But I still need the BitLocker key in case it is asked for again. How can I get it?

How were you able to reset from the bitlocker mode.