What's new

How to make the Surface Pro a killer product

disambiguous1

I'm sure a lot of us here think that the Surface is a great product. Cynic that I am, I'll say it doesn't suck any more than most pieces of digital hardware out there today. However, I'm sure most of us would agree that Microsoft missed a few boats on the overall design. If there are any MS executives reading this forum, let's post some million $ ideas (or maybe billion $ ideas) that would improve the product, even the ones that have already been sold.

First of all, there's the matter of batter life, which is universally derided. I have to say that the criticism is warranted. However, the solution might be quite simple. How about an auxiliary batter pack that snaps onto the side of the SP into the charger port? Hopefully some way would be found to get it to grip far better than the pen does. Imagine a pack about an inch wide that is the same height and thickness of the SP, and blends in with the edge of the machine. Just pop it on the side, and double or triple your battery capacity. Give it a charging port and the ability to charge both the internal battery and the external battery while in use. Yowza.

Anybody else got any more suggestions? -DA1

J515OP

Super Moderator
Good idea to have a thread about ideas for improvements (in fact I think there are a couple of these threads already). I will say I think you are off base some regarding the battery life.

First of all, there's the matter of batter life, which is universally derided. I have to say that the criticism is warranted.

This has been discussed a lot and I am with what I believe to be the consensus that this "universal derision" is false and flatly out of line. While your opinion of the battery life criticism being warranted is just that, your opinion, using an empirical comparison we see that the Surface Pro is inline with other ultra-books using the same chipsets and the battery life is much better than the original reports scared people into believing. Given its size and weight it performs very well in battery life actually.

As far are using an attachable battery pack that adds on to the size of the Surface, I think it misses the point of having as small of a device as possible. The Surface could be twice as thick and carry a larger battery but it is a design decision. If you need more battery or something other than the Surface you can choose a device with a different design allowing for the larger battery. If you want an external battery pack there are other options and threads discussing how to make them work. You can have a short cable to the battery pack and it would be no different than attaching a usb hard drive or dvd drive while not actually adding any bulk to the Surface itself. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/4512-external-battery-pack-option.html and http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...on/4312-any-soldering-ninjas-around-here.html

You are not alone in wanting some sort of battery dock and that may happen (and is probably likely). Personally I think if you want that sort of setup then you can buy a device that was designed that way to start. Convertible Ultrabook Laptop & Tablet PC | ThinkPad Helix | 11.6" with Windows 8 (US). The Surface is what it is and if you want it to be something different you can get something different or perhaps buy an accessory but that doesn't really point out an inherent design flaw in the Surface as it is ;) Now if you want to discuss the angle of the kickstand, which is an inherent design feature, you can also find many threads on that alone :)

Last edited:

Wayne Orwig

This has been discussed a lot and I am with what I believe to be the consensus that this "universal derision" is false and flatly out of line. While your opinion of the battery life criticism being warranted is just that, your opinion, using an empirical comparison we see that the Surface Pro is inline with other ultra-books using the same chipsets and the battery life is much better than the original reports scared people into believing. Given its size and weight it performs very well in battery life actually.

The issue is that it is going to be compared to other tablets, which get 50 to 100% more battery life. That is just the way it is because of the form factor. It won't be compared to ultrabooks.
That and the high cost, and yes, it is 'bleed edge' so to speak. Next year there will be a different processor chip with longer battery life. And so it goes. No point in suggesting it to Microsoft, it HAS to already be on their roadmap, once the parts exist.

Me, I got a second charger and I'm putting together a portable external battery pack to ease the issue and moving on. But then, I also even had a portable battery pack for my Asus Android for when I went camping.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The issue is that it is going to be compared to other tablets, which get 50 to 100% more battery life. That is just the way it is because of the form factor. It won't be compared to ultrabooks.

This isn't exactly true. It is getting compared to other ultrabooks pretty consistently at this point. The more time that it has been out the more accurate the reviews have become and the more information there is from actual users. The battery life comparisons with mobile processor tablets have largely dropped off or they are poor reviews citing older information. Like wise it isn't fair to compare performance to a mobile processor. That was a big problem in early reviews where dodgy reviewers were selectively picking features to compare and cast the Surface Pro in a bad light (e.g. poor battery life but no mention of how it will crush an iPad, Android or even the RT in performance). For the most part that is no longer the case mainly because there are enough users out there now to call BS on that sort of FUD blogging of pre-release reviews and the real comparison has become to other Intel based devices ;)

Ruffles

Here are the things I'd like to see:

1. Give us more keyboard options. At least make the type cover in different colors and build one with a pen holder. Make a cover that's as thick as the type cover but uses the touch keyboard and fill the rest of the space with battery. How about glow in the dark or illuminated keys?
2. Give us a dock.
3. Better battery. I've never run out but that's because I always worry about it. I have 3 chargers - one at work, one in the home office, and one in my bedroom. I'm sure there will be an improvement with Haswell so I imagine this is coming.
4. Adjustable kickstand
5. build in stylus holder. Really, I can't believe we don't have this. Would anyone NOT have bought one because it was a quarter inch wider?

tonyz3

I love my surface just the way it is..........:big smile: no but really the idea about an external battery option -- slimmer but similar to the 5 in 1 adaptor would be nice - accept what to do with the pen when that thing is attached. Uh oh!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
I love my surface just the way it is..........:big smile: no but really the idea about an external battery option -- slimmer but similar to the 5 in 1 adaptor would be nice - accept what to do with the pen when that thing is attached. Uh oh!!

This would be a really cool accessory and similar to the OP's idea but not worth redesigning the actual Surface for since it can be an accessory. A battery that goes along the side of the Surface and replicates the ports it covers plus additional ports. It could also house the stylus. My guess is that a battery of that size and shape will hardly be worth while though (not enough capacity and to expensive to make in the custom shape required). You are better off with a keyboard/battery attachment option or one that goes across the entire back of the Surface and adds .25"-.5" thickness and maybe features an adjustable angle kickstand on its backside.

mophie-juice-pack-PRO-iPhone-4-4S-Battery-Case_BonjourLife-2.jpg

Last edited:

mitchellvii

I'd like mine to come with a leggy blonde.

Besides that an adjustable kickstand (because we aren't all 5 feet tall) and a place to put the pen (that isn't idiotic) would be high on my list. I'd also really like an 11.6 inch screen and the ability to set my external monitor zoom ratio independently. Some rubber or felt tipped nibs for the pen would be an excellent addition. Also, add a little weight to the pen so it doesn't feel so cheap. How about a second USB 3.0 port? Maybe they could letter the keyboard with glow-in-the-dark ink so I could see they keys better in the dark?

Last point, get rid of the fancy power plug that falls out if my cat breathes on it (and I don't even have a cat). They went for cool over useful there for maximum fail. My only guess is that MS got a really good deal on a big shipment of magnets and just went nuts.

** However, knowing MS I am sure they will add all kinds of things I never asked for and none of the things I need.

Last edited: