What's new

how to monitor battery usage?

Bzee

I'm trying out the basic version of battery bar right now. Seems good as far as reporting goes. But you can't mess with any settings with free version.

As for powercfg.exe, I found a few of those applications in my file explorer. Not sure which one to use. Plus clicking on them flashes black box then disappears. Can't find where the info is dumped to like machistmo showed.

You need to run these in a command prompt (they don't have a GUI).

Arizona Willie

I've had my SP for a couple of months and Battery Bar Pro shows 7.7% battery used up. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that.

Also Battery Bar Pro, unfortunately, is NOT an app. It only works in desktop mode. It does not show up in Metro mode at all.

However, it seems to be miles ahead of the POS Microsoft put on the SP.

Thanks for the heads up on the program; I downloaded the basic version on my laptop and will likely on my SP as well. I will note that McAfee doesn't like their web site.

Arizona Willie

Well, the first thing to do is get rid of that virus you have on your computer!!

It's called McAfee Anti-virus or something like that.

Friends don't let friends use McAfee.

Try AVAST or AVG --- both have FREE versions and are far superior to McAfee.

In my opinion :)

Thanks for the heads up on the program; I downloaded the basic version on my laptop and will likely on my SP as well. I will note that McAfee doesn't like their web site.

machistmo

Bit Defender is free and works better than most of the rest of them out there. Also you can watch deal news and get bit defender for 2 or 3 years for next to nothing. $10 or so..

machistmo

I'm trying out the basic version of battery bar right now. Seems good as far as reporting goes. But you can't mess with any settings with free version.

As for powercfg.exe, I found a few of those applications in my file explorer. Not sure which one to use. Plus clicking on them flashes black box then disappears. Can't find where the info is dumped to like machistmo showed.

I generally do it from an elevated command prompt. And again its in the root of your profile. C:\user\%profile%\battery report.html

bluegrass

Well, the first thing to do is get rid of that virus you have on your computer!!

Why would you bother to buy and install an antivirus program when one is built into the OS?

Wayne Orwig

My sister dropped off a laptop that was slow. It had a horrible virus in it slowing it down. Maybe you have heard of it, it is called Norton or some such.
I hate that software and the way it 'infects' a PC.