What's new

How to move Onedrive folder to SD card

jonrichco

I have a Surface Pro 3 with 128 GB and a 128 GB SDXC card formatted to exFAT. I wish to move my Onedrive folder from C:\ to the SD card, but when I try it tells me that you can only move it to an NTFS drive. Two questions before I copy off the SD card contents and reformat the drive:

1. Will there be any problems formatting the SD card to NTFS?
and
2. Once formatted to NTFS, will Windows 8.1 allow me to move the Onedrive folder?

Thanks in advance

bluegrass

Good question. I would try it and see. There have been 40 readers to your question so far without a response so I think since it's not too big of task to do the steps, I'd suggest trying it and letting us know.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

malberttoo

I have a Surface Pro 3 with 128 GB and a 128 GB SDXC card formatted to exFAT. I wish to move my Onedrive folder from C:\ to the SD card, but when I try it tells me that you can only move it to an NTFS drive. Two questions before I copy off the SD card contents and reformat the drive:

1. Will there be any problems formatting the SD card to NTFS?
and
2. Once formatted to NTFS, will Windows 8.1 allow me to move the Onedrive folder?

Thanks in advance

Welcome!

Yes, you can format an SD card as NTFS. It's not as ideal a storage medium as the SSD, but it will work. After you format it as NTFS, you'll want to be sure to use "Safely remove..." before you remove the SD card for some reason.

In File Explorer you'll find your OneDrive folder, right-click and Properties> Location tab, and point it where you want it to go.

kundas1

whats the best way of moving it to the SD card? do I make a "new folder" and name it "one drive" and then point it to that folder?

scauffiel

Found this via Google as I couldn't locate the post in this forum:

Another solution by mounting the MicroSD your card to the C drive
* First you need to create a new folder in C:\ that will "house" your SD card. I put mine under C:\Users\MyUserName\SDHCMount. Then I created a "OneDrive" folder inside of that.
* Press Win + R from your keyboard, input diskmgmt.msc, and press Enter to open Disk Manager.
* From there, right-click on your SD card, select “Change drive letters and paths…” option and set its location to your created folder.

This isn't as exact as the post found in this forum, but it'll probably get you where you need to go.

JoshB

* Edit: Just noticed malberttoo already mentioned the steps to do this heh. Oh well, leaving post just in case :D *

Also here is link that tells you how to have OneDrive sync to new location.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-folder/147dade2-830b-46ee-bf7e-36a8eab9446a

For Windows 8.1:
To change the OneDrive folder location in Windows 8.1, you can simply change the location directly through the Properties menu of the OneDrive folder:
  1. Open File Explorer, right-click on the OneDrive folder in the navigation pane (left-hand side), and then selectProperties
  2. Click the "Location" tab and then select "Move"
  3. Select the location where you want OneDrive to sync to and then click OK
OneDrive will move all of your OneDrive files from the default location to the new location; you don't have to wait for files to download again.

Last edited:
OP
J

jonrichco

I answered my own question, or rather the US Surface support group did. (i) no problem formatting SD card to NTFS which you need to do to be able to move Onedrive out of C and (ii) The Onedrive folder moves to the SD card with no problems. As well as the options mentioned in replies, you can also simply go the folder <C:\Users\Username\OneDrive> (where Windows 8.1 puts it by default) and right drag it to the SD card and click move.

Another way to save space on the SSD is to move the Recovery drive to a thumb drive - see for example http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-delete-recovery-partition-in-windows-8/

Many thanks to those who answered from the forum.

Last edited:

malberttoo

* Edit: Just noticed malberttoo already mentioned the steps to do this heh. Oh well, leaving post just in case :D *

Also here is link that tells you how to have OneDrive sync to new location.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-folder/147dade2-830b-46ee-bf7e-36a8eab9446a

For Windows 8.1:
To change the OneDrive folder location in Windows 8.1, you can simply change the location directly through the Properties menu of the OneDrive folder:
  1. Open File Explorer, right-click on the OneDrive folder in the navigation pane (left-hand side), and then selectProperties
  2. Click the "Location" tab and then select "Move"
  3. Select the location where you want OneDrive to sync to and then click OK
OneDrive will move all of your OneDrive files from the default location to the new location; you don't have to wait for files to download again.

:D

I always thought that OneDrive was an online storage facility. I used to use it (not enough free space for my requirements) but would have whatever document readily accessible. If I ever edited, I would then send the edited document to OneDrive.

As it was saved to OneDrive, I could access my documents from any computer, and from any location. No need for an SD card.

ScottyS

I always thought that OneDrive was an online storage facility. I used to use it (not enough free space for my requirements) but would have whatever document readily accessible. If I ever edited, I would then send the edited document to OneDrive.

As it was saved to OneDrive, I could access my documents from any computer, and from any location. No need for an SD card.
The problem is by default files moved to your OneDrive folder are stored locally and kept sync'd with the versions online. This way they can be accessed even if you have no internet connection. But they take up space on you SSD. You can right click on any OneDrive folder and pick Choose OneDrive folders to sync. Any folder you uncheck will have its content stored online only which will save the space on your SSD but you'll need to be online to access it.