What's new

How to perform clean install of Windows 81. RTM and activate it

Mmark

Someone might be interested...

1. Write down your current activation key (doesn't matter if you are still on Win 8.0 or 8.1 preview).
2. Grab RTM and installation key (google is your friend). Use Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way to create bootable pendrive (choose UEFI compatible MBR).
3. Install it :)
4. Run regedit. Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE. Change both keys MediaBootInstall and RetailInstall to 0.
5. Run elevated cmd prompt. Type slrmgr /rearm
6. Restart as prompted
7. Launch PC Settings, go to Activation, tap Enter key button and enter key noted at the beginning.

Done. Enjoy.

obmotum

Hi,

thanks for sharing. But i've didn't have to do this. Strage. I've just plugged in my Pendrive with 8.1 RTM on it an installed it on my SP. When the installation asked for a Key i used the one from the "leaked" source. :) But you can't activate Windows with this Key. It's just for installation. After Windows was installed i activated it by usign my SP Key. And it worked.
I've used Magically Bean Key Finder to get my Windows 8 Key prior installation.

benko

Is it possible to recover back to original win8 after install of it via recovery partition ?

Russ

Is it possible to recover back to original win8 after install of it via recovery partition ?

Benko --

The recovery process restores your computer back to its original state, just like it came out of the box.

Regards,

Russ

benko

Benko --

The recovery process restores your computer back to its original state, just like it came out of the box.

Regards,

Russ

Some say that 8.1 creates new recovery so that it overwrites current one?

So no need to USB backup ?

Russ

Some say that 8.1 creates new recovery so that it overwrites current one? So no need to USB backup ?

Benko --

I guess I didn't understand your question. I have not installed 8.1 Preview on my Pro; I am running it on a couple of desktop machines. Someone who has installed it on the Pro can answer your specific question. If I were to install it on my Pro, I would certainly make a Recovery backup drive first. All it takes is an 8GB drive and a few minutes.

Regards,
Russ

bangsters

Hi,

thanks for sharing. But i've didn't have to do this. Strage. I've just plugged in my Pendrive with 8.1 RTM on it an installed it on my SP. When the installation asked for a Key i used the one from the "leaked" source. :) But you can't activate Windows with this Key. It's just for installation. After Windows was installed i activated it by usign my SP Key. And it worked.
I've used Magically Bean Key Finder to get my Windows 8 Key prior installation.

I did pretty much the same as you, although it did not accept the cdkey (for activation) that came with my SP (I also used the same program to get the windows 8 key).

I did a restore from 8.1 preview back to 8. Then I installed the RTM, using the leaked cdkey for install purposes. But when I tried to activate it using my key it wouldn't accept it. Luckily I have an msdn account and I instead used the windows 8 Pro license from msdn which worked.

mervincm

Did the latest (aug?) SP firmware and driver package auto install from MS updates? if not, did you DL from MS and manually install them all?