What's new

How to reveal the OEM Windows 8 product key in Surface pro ?

Cowboy

Technically your right, you can upgrade but according to the MS blog, upgrades from 8.1 preview to 8.1 RTM require re installation of all apps - desktop and metro. Since you have to got to the trouble of re installing everything, you'd be much better off to back up your data and wipe first rather then perform upgrade after upgrade etc. Windows 8.1 Preview: An Enterprise Call to Action

Ruffles is correct. These word games drive me nuts. Upgrade, refresh, reinstall, overlay, etc. The "upgrade" ArnoldC is talking about results in a Windows 8.1 system with no applications and additional junk on the hard disk drive. A clean install is much better.

Rvacha

Yesterday I flattened my SP - no refresh, no restore, we're talking a new install from ISO that totally wiped all four portions and installed a new copy. I had used an app to copy my product key but when I went to enter it I was surprised to see that Win8 had already authenticated itself! I did some surfing and learned that the key is actually buried in BIOS and Win8 looks there for a key.

chetan.navale

You can get the product key using below command.
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
Note: Please run the command with admin privileges if didn't work.