What's new

How to reveal the OEM Windows 8 product key in Surface pro ?

Brightsurface

I am trying to upgrade my Surface pro to Win 8.1. However, it ask the product key for activation after upgraded. I searched all of the boxes come with the Surface pro, and did not find any printed win 8 product key of my Surface Pro. I also tried several Key reveal software, but just get some thing like "BBBB-BBBB....". Does anybody have the same issue?
Bright

Last edited:

ArnoldC

If you did the upgrade from the store, it is not required.

If you installed from an ISO, a product key is required.

OP
B

Brightsurface

I was trying to download a ISO before upgrade from the store. I realized there is no DVD-Rom on Surface and gave up. I did upgraded from the store after all , but still get the activation page pop-up.

OP
B

Brightsurface

If you do the ISO version here is the product key you will need:

NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F

This key works even I upgraded from the MS store. Thanks. I wonder why the upgrade does not take my OEM key automatically. There are many bugs in the 8.1 preview as well. The desktop Skydrive stopped working.
I rolled back to win 8.0.

paesan

I was trying to download a ISO before upgrade from the store. I realized there is no DVD-Rom on Surface and gave up. I did upgraded from the store after all , but still get the activation page pop-up.

You can install the ISO from a usb flash drive.

apoc_reg

Hmm this makes me worry a little.

I upgraded to 8.1 via ISO and the MS provided preview build product key.... have I now lost access to me own Windows product key?! I assume I'll need that when Windows 8.1 hits RTM?

ArnoldC

Oh, you did not save the product key from the System information? The first thing I did was a screenshot. Having said that, perhaps you can ask Surface support.

Ruffles

Hmm this makes me worry a little.

I upgraded to 8.1 via ISO and the MS provided preview build product key.... have I now lost access to me own Windows product key?! I assume I'll need that when Windows 8.1 hits RTM?

When 8.1 RTM hits, you'll have to wipe your surface anyways since upgrade from 8.1 preview to RTM isn't supported. Restore your your factory image and which will have the key and then do the upgrade. Alternatively, you could buy an upgrade to Win 8 Media Center edition. The upgrade is $10 and give you a new key that changes your OS version.

Ruffles

Technically your right, you can upgrade but according to the MS blog, upgrades from 8.1 preview to 8.1 RTM require re installation of all apps - desktop and metro. Since you have to got to the trouble of re installing everything, you'd be much better off to back up your data and wipe first rather then perform upgrade after upgrade etc. Windows 8.1 Preview: An Enterprise Call to Action