What's new

How to stop windows key waking SP3?

madtablet

Hi everyone,

I have a cover for my SP3 (folio cover, not the type cover). If I pick up the cover or it moves in my bag the pressure accidently causes the cover to touch the windows key (hardware key on the bezel) which then wakes the device from sleep. This causes battery drain if I'm not aware of it (eg, take the SP3 out of my bag after travelling and no battery charge).

I've tried disabling the windows key in device manager and it works but it also disables the power button so then I can't put the SP3 to sleep using the power button. I'm not sure why they share the same driver.

Is there any way to disable the windows key without disabling the power button?

Thanks

mennogreg

I don't think so. You can try enabling hibernate whenever you expect it'll be in the bag for an extended period, or just shut down. You can try placing something on the inside of the folio cover where it meets the windows button (maybe a piece of electric or masking tape?)

malberttoo

...the pressure accidently causes the cover to touch the windows key (hardware key on the bezel) which then wakes the device from sleep...

Probably not. The Windows button is capacitive, so it requires your finger to actually work. As a test just now, I pressed a wooden stick against the button, but nothing happened. I placed a business card against it then pressed my thumb on top, and was able to activate it. I put 2 cards there, and had to press a little harder, but was still able to activate it. Finally with three cards, my thumb no longer worked.

I had a similar issue, and discovered that in fact I was probably accidentally bumping the power button. Or, the button was getting bumped in the bag.

Regardless, I now shut my SP3 down all the way when I'm taking it out. It only takes a few seconds to power up.